PDA

View Full Version : light output of PC bulbs in series

StirCrazy
07-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Ok I picked up a WH7 today to power my 55 watt PC's I got from SamW. I am going to wire them up normal and take some readings and then I will run them in series and see if there is any difference. seeing that a PC is just a bent tube the results should be the same as what we have been seeing on T12's and T8's but I am going to find out for sure this weekend.

Steve

*warning advice/information is dispensed on a "to the best of my knowledge" basis... always verify information for your self before trying something that could be potentially dangerous*

[ 12 July 2002, 17:29: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

StirCrazy
07-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Well, forget about running the bulbs in series. it seams that with them in series they can not be light properly and you get that 1/2 light effect, so now I am running them normal.

Thanks Sam, I see why you didn't like them though.. they are very white I was expecting more blue out of the 50/50, oh well nothing a 20 watt actinic bulbs won't be able to fix up for me smile.gif It is nice to have both tanks lit now allthough I guess now I will have toclean the bottom one :D

Steve

ldzielak
07-14-2002, 04:47 AM
Steve,

Doesn't really suprise me that you could not make your bulbs work in series. PC are already double length by design. Just think of how long you make the electrical path.

So I guess T8 and T12 are best for the series applications.

Lee

Samw
09-22-2002, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:

Thanks Sam, I see why you didn't like them though.. they are very white I was expecting more blue out of the 50/50, oh well nothing a 20 watt actinic bulbs won't be able to fix up for me smile.gif It is nice to have both tanks lit now allthough I guess now I will have toclean the bottom one :D

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Took me a while to get to this forum. I hardly ever read the DIY section. smile.gif Not enough blue from the 50/50?? I didn't like it because I thought there was too much blue. smile.gif Also, I thought the 10,000K wasn't white enough. It seemed yellow.

If you haven't seen these yet. I've got comparisons between Coralife and my old GE bulbs.

This photo is Coralife 10,000K on left and Coralife 50/50 on the right.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-07.Album/fulltankcora.jpg

In the next photo, Coralife 10,000K is on the left and a 6 month old GE 9325K is on the right.

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-07.Album/fulltankgecora.jpg

I found that the GE bulb brought out the purples, browns, greens, and all colors better and crisper.

[ 22 September 2002, 01:59: Message edited by: Sam W ]

StirCrazy
09-22-2002, 06:01 AM
ya it is good now.. I have some NO actinics helpingout.. but sence I put the VHO actinics on the top tank the bottom one is looking kinda white again LOL.. I just thought the 50 / 50 bulbs would be more blue.. they are good though.. I think i am going to get a 55 watt actinic pc to help out down there though..

Steve