PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Reef Tank Mentor…

targaboy78
10-28-2005, 07:59 PM
I am in the process of designing the plumbing for a 175G Oceanic Reef-Ready Bow-Front and an Oceanic Model 2 sump using the existing dual overflows and dual returns. Also an additional closed loop system with dual sea-swirls.

I would like to figure out the best way to run the plumbing and to plumb it in for future scalability (refugium, chiller, water change tap, whatever). I don’t know what kind of plumbing components are available and where to put the unions, gate valves, ball valves for easy access and cleaning.
90 degree or dual 45 degree corners, PVC or flexible hose, schedule 40 vs. schedule 20, etc… the list goes on.

I’d like to sit down with someone(s) that have been there/done that and bounce ideas back and forth.

Pizza and beer will be provided…
However, my only stipulation: More pizza and less beer before the planning phase, then decreasing amounts of pizza and increased beer afterwards.

Chin_Lee
10-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Hi
whereabouts in Surrey do you live? I can offer for you to come over to check out my system. But with 2 young kids and a wife who thinks I already spends too much time with this hobby, I'm won't be able to provide much hands-on assistance. :cry:
I'm in the area of 146 street and 75 ave. PM if interested.

hockey nut
10-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi P.

If you get a chance to see Tom Rs and Chin Lees tank GO!!!! :mrgreen:

They are well thought out and have great advice IMO. I don't mean to toot their horns but you will know what I mean after you see the tanks.

Cheers

targaboy78
10-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks Callum,

I have already been in touch with Chin Lee.

I was planning on tagging along for the Surrey Tank Tour next weekend and Tom R is on the agenda.

I'll bring a camera and a note pad. (Provided they don't mind me taking a pic or 2)

I've been working on this thing since November 2003... Well, at least I started collecting bits and pieces for this project back then.

It's finally getting close. Once my stand is painted and setup the pieces will all start fitting together. I'm so stoked.

Tom R
10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Targaboy

You certainly can take pictures of my tanks & DIY systems. You are welcome to come over for a one on one viewing anytime. Just PM me to set up a date and time.

Thank you Callum for the very nice words about my tanks and set up.

Tom R