PDA

View Full Version : ODN bulb?

leslr
09-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi Finseekers (sorry Funseekers)..
I have a question on overdriving a Flo bulb.
I have an eclipse 6 tank with a Hagan 12" 8w power-Glo bulb.I want to upgrade the lighting but do not have to many choises due to the weird shape and size of the hood. Is it possible to fit a different ballast to overdrive the fitted bulb 3 or 4x ??.My other option is to butcher the hood to try and fit in PC's.
Any ideas would be greatly apprec:).
leslr.

StirCrazy
09-17-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by leslr:
Hi Finseekers (sorry Funseekers)..
I have a question on overdriving a Flo bulb.
I have an eclipse 6 tank with a Hagan 12" 8w power-Glo bulb.I want to upgrade the lighting but do not have to many choises due to the weird shape and size of the hood. Is it possible to fit a different ballast to overdrive the fitted bulb 3 or 4x ??.My other option is to butcher the hood to try and fit in PC's.
Any ideas would be greatly apprec:).
leslr.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">even if you hook up 4 wires you won't get 4X the out put.. I would say at best you could get about 18 to 20 watts out of that.. and your bulb life would be real short..

IMHO I would look for a way to put 1 or 2 23 watt PC's in instead.. it would be more intense and you could get a actinic and a 10000K in that size.

Steve

reefburnaby
09-18-2002, 12:37 AM
Hi,

Welcome to Canreef.

Well, what do you want to keep ? Softies, LPS and/or SPS ? If it is something simple, then an overdrive of 2x or so will do -- like a couple of mushrooms, toadstool and etc. If you want a clam, SPS or other light loving corals, then you'll need to either rig your tank with more bulbs (like about 2 to 3) and overdrive them....or two 28W PCs. The great thing is that you really only have to buy one ballast to experiement with all of these scenarios - Workhorse 5.

To see examples of what other nano-reefers are doing to their < 15 gallon tanks for lighting, try this site :

http://www.nano-reef.com/members/index.html

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

[ 17 September 2002, 21:09: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]