PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia

Nemo
10-28-2005, 02:09 AM
Ok I am about ready to buy new rock, I have tried the following to get rid of the aptasia in my tank

Boiling water with a very high salinity level injected right in
Boiling water injected right in
Joe's juice (after this one I have seen an explosion of more aptasia)
Vinager injected right in
taking the rocks out and scrubbing them
pepermint shrimp (about 15 of them and not one has eaten any)

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears, taking one or two rocks out and taking them to someone elses tank to let what they have eat it is not going to work, as soon as the clean rock gets in they will just re populate it again.

Snoop Dog
10-28-2005, 03:04 AM
Give the pepermints time, My brother had aptasia and took them 102 (woops).....2 months before they got an appetite for aptasia,

muck
10-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Give the pepermints time, My brother had aptasia and took them 102 months before they got an appetite for aptasia,
He probably doesn't want to wait 8½ years though.. :razz:

Mike Olson
10-30-2005, 04:14 AM
I have two peppermints in my sump right now that cleared my tank of approx-15 aiptasia(ones I could see). They cleared out approx. 20 in the sump in four days. They stay in the sump because I also witnessed them eating up my xenia and some zoos :eek: I figure I will put them back in the main tank when the aiptasia become more prevalent again. If you want to borrow them for awhile, your welcome to see if they do the job...just watch out for your zoos/xenia :exclaim:

Nemo
10-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Mike

That would be great, I think I will take you up on that offer. I have sent you a PM with contact info

Skimmerking
10-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Wont Copperband's do the trick if your tand is large enough. i had some and my peppermints have done nothing too. but come to think of it i havent seen my peppermints in about 2 months. :rolleyes:

I have also tried the kalk thing and so far it works great,but take out the rock first if the raw kalk touches another coral it will burn or kill it TRUST ME ON THAT ONE. :cry:

Doug
10-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Both in my tank and my friends 180, we have noticed the regrowth of apitasia since the removal of the copperbands from those tanks. So it seems a constant grooming of them is neccessary, whatever that means is.