PDA

View Full Version : DIY skimmer and collection cup

SuperFudge
09-03-2002, 12:28 AM
Hi all,

Just finished this one,i havnt seen a recirc loop combined like this so hopefully it works as planned.

Picture Deleted due to a severe lack of computer knowledge ;) :D

[ 15 September 2002, 09:38: Message edited by: Superfudge ]

SuperFudge
09-03-2002, 01:07 AM
No,no Dont tell me.....you guys cant see it.

DJ88
09-03-2002, 01:09 AM
I can see it fine..

It may be that I am logged into my yahoo account at the moment which is a part of geosities.

Aquattro
09-03-2002, 01:49 AM
Sorry Marc, no pic. I did manage to see it at the URL...nice unit.

DJ88
09-03-2002, 02:04 AM
Marc,

when I am logged into messenger(yahoo) I can see it fine.. when I am not logged in I can't.. so that explains it.

Looks good.. And I have seen one skimmer with a recirc loop. The PM XL. Or myabe it is a custom one. Not sure.. big sucker with a recirc loop. good idea.. smile.gif

ruck'n'reefer
09-03-2002, 02:46 AM
Sweet, very nice! Need a tank to put it in! ;)

Delphinus
09-10-2002, 02:04 AM
Very nice construction. What pump will you be using to drive the skimmer? What size mag drive are you using to drive the recirc?

Have you put this into production yet, how is it working out?

SuperFudge
09-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Tony,

Im using a 1/2 horse jacuzzi to feed it split with tank feeds.
I could honestly say that i have never seen a single beckett perform like this.

Recirc hasnt been in use.....i have to pull off the inner acrylic tube (recirc pump intake),it is way too high air to water for the intake tube to be that high(5"high).
I had planned the water level running at that hieght,but the foam wasnt staying stable enouph.

Im very happy that i put some flanges on the base of the reaction tube aswell now,so i can fix this easily.

I had planned on putting a mag 5-7 for the re-circ,but i had a 3 lying around and i slapped that on it.
At this point i would say that a 3 is not enouph,and i think a 7 would be more usefull in using tangical injection fully.

I honestly dont have any intentions of marketing it,or selling them at all.
I just wanted to play ;) .

Ill borrow someone soon to show me how to post some pics of it running for you guys.

[ 10 September 2002, 17:26: Message edited by: Superfudge ]

StirCrazy
09-10-2002, 10:45 PM
just a though, tell me if I am out to lunch or not though.. but whould it improve the foam if you put another beckett on the recirc loop? I was just looking at the pic and thinking it would be a waist just to have water cirulating in the bottom when you could throw a beckett in there and chop up the big bubbles and make more...

Steve

DJ88
09-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Steve,

Precision Marine already does this with custom skimmers.

StirCrazy
09-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by DJ88:
Steve,

Precision Marine already does this with custom skimmers.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn and I was ready to make millions..

realy though.. hmm I have never seen it..

Steve

SuperFudge
09-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Steve,

The recirc doesnt do anything in the bottom of the skimmer.
It pulls water and foam from the inside of the reaction tube,chops it up some more and spits it out tangically back in the reaction tube.
This is why no mazzi or beckett is needed.

Darren,do you have a link to this skimmer ?
There site doesnt show anything like it.

Delphinus
09-11-2002, 01:03 AM
Sorry -- when I said "put it into production" I meant, have you turned it on yet and seen how it does. I wasn't meaning "when will you be selling it." "Put into production" is a term frequently employed in the engineering/software industries when you take a concept out of theory or the lab and into the "real world." smile.gif ;) tongue.gif :D :cool:

SuperFudge
09-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by delphinus:
"Put into production" is a term frequently employed in the engineering/software industries when you take a concept out of theory or the lab and into the "real world." <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh,Luckily for you Tony,I just happened to be from the real world,here we use the term "put into production" for initiating the manufacture of a product. ;) tongue.gif

Use Laymans terms for us simple folk, like "have you used it yet ?" :D tongue.gif ;)

Just pullin your chain Tony, (that means "kidding",not to be confused with linking multiple mainframes together in series or something. :cool: )

[ 11 September 2002, 16:58: Message edited by: Superfudge ]

pocilipora
09-11-2002, 08:38 PM
lol+lol=lol

Delphinus
09-12-2002, 01:20 AM
tongue.gif

stephane
09-17-2002, 03:26 AM
Here is a link to that recirculate skimmer

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69425