PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question

danny zubot
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
From one brand of MH bulb to the next, is there are real difference in the quality of light? For example, Blueline are better than Hamilton, or whatever.

The reason I'm asking is because since I switched to a 400 watt 10K Arc bulb from a 14K 250 watt Arc bulb, my corals have been fading and look like crap. At first I thought they might be adjusting to the increase in wattage, but its been over 2 months now. I'd like to know if my problem could be resolved by switching to a different brand of bulb. Switching back to a 250 watt is not an option.

Wanted add posted in the hardware forum.

Willito
10-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Brand, Kelvin, wattage, and ballast type, all play a role on how your corals will present. In some instances when just changing from 10K to 14K, your eyes will notice that the neon colors aren't as strong. With your higher wattage now, your corals will definately be different because of the increase in PAR. This will heighten metabolism rate which will inturn affect Zoanthellae population. And of course your water chemistry is the other factor.

Invigor
10-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Brand, Kelvin, wattage, and ballast type, all play a role on how your corals will present. In some instances when just changing from 10K to 14K, your eyes will notice that the neon colors aren't as strong. With your higher wattage now, your corals will definately be different because of the increase in PAR. This will heighten metabolism rate which will inturn affect Zoanthellae population. And of course your water chemistry is the other factor.

what he said :mrgreen:

danny zubot
10-27-2005, 04:24 PM
I assume metabolic rate will increase, will zoanthalea populations increase as well? Or is this determined by my water chemistry? It does seem that my calcium levels are harder to maintain since the upgrade. Perhaps I should switch back to a 14K bulb to lower metabolism slightly. Opinions?

StirCrazy
10-27-2005, 06:03 PM
in basic tearms you switched from a 250 14K bulb (medium intensity) to a 10K 400watt bulb (high intensity) you have bleached your corals slightly but they will come back, make sure your Ca is around 400 and your alk is a little higher (around 10 to 12) and you have good flow. takes time but they should come back. remember also that there is not as much actinic light in a 10K as there is in a 14K so you will get a more natural color instead of a color popping neon color :mrgreen:

Steve