PDA

View Full Version : Redbugs and Interceptor

WWWD
10-27-2005, 12:55 AM
ok, i have called my vet and explained the situation with red bugs and acros. ive told him some people are having trouble with access to medication because they don't have an established relationship with a vet. im am going over there tomorrow to drop some reading material off for him to review, he doesn’t think this is an issue except he doesn’t stock interceptor so it will take a few days for it to come in.

what i would like to do is set it up so if anyone requires interceptor they can call the vet, quote my name and ask for interceptor. you may have to wait a few days if it's not in stock. you will only pay for the medication no vet fee's. he is basically doing this to me as a favor as i don't think he would take the time otherwise. 5 dogs gives you some pull at the vets office :razz:

i will keep you updated in this thread.

vanreefer
10-27-2005, 01:26 AM
sounds sweet to me
Thanks'

props
10-27-2005, 06:20 AM
wicked
i want one =o)

untamed
10-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Are redbugs a serious problem for acros? I picked up a new coral from OA recently and it has them.

Chin_Lee
10-28-2005, 12:26 AM
I've seen red bugs on larger acros that still grow really well. I believe they are most damaging to frags and smaller pieces. But healthy larger pieces need not worry IMO

christyf5
10-28-2005, 12:33 AM
All I have are mostly frags. After treating I got much better polyp extension on them :biggrin:

Aquattro
10-28-2005, 12:45 AM
But healthy larger pieces need not worry IMO

I disagree. I lost several mature colonies, apparently to the bugs. Upon dipping in iodine, I had thousands come off the colonies. IMO, all acropora are at risk from these bugs.

rickjames
10-28-2005, 04:44 AM

I disagree. I lost several mature colonies, apparently to the bugs. Upon dipping in iodine, I had thousands come off the colonies. IMO, all acropora are at risk from these bugs.

And every species of acro will get them if exposed to the bugs, even though some have claimed they don't host on millepora, etc. My Millepora says (well, said now :biggrin: ) different!

untamed
10-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Why wouldn't OA be more active in getting rid of them? Certainly, they could offer to dip any coral before they sell it....

Would you treat your tank with anything if you saw them on one of your corals? What is this treatment and what is it's potential to damage other life in the tank? (particularly other "bugs")

props
10-28-2005, 09:52 PM
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155

it will wipe out your pods, shrimps[although my cleaner shrimp lasted for 4 treatments] and crabs..[etc]

WWWD
10-28-2005, 10:10 PM
the interceptor has been ordered, i got a voicemail today from the vet, im not sure how much he ordered, ill find out.

christyf5
10-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Would you treat your tank with anything if you saw them on one of your corals? What is this treatment and what is it's potential to damage other life in the tank? (particularly other "bugs")

How closely do you inspect your corals? I look, I like, I buy. I didn't used to think they needed to be inspected that thoroughly. I didn't even notice them until someone posted that they had them, showed pictures and said how small they were. Then I looked really REALLY closely and there they were. Now I do inspect and treat all sps going into my tank.

more info on red bugs (http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43945)

the treatment (http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155)

props
10-28-2005, 10:26 PM
the interceptor has been ordered, i got a voicemail today from the vet, im not sure how much he ordered, ill find out.

dude give me a call once you get it or when it gets to your vets.. i'm getting the rest of my stuff this weekend would love to treat them all at the same time 778-881-2245

rickjames
10-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Why wouldn't OA be more active in getting rid of them? Certainly, they could offer to dip any coral before they sell it....

If you are looking at getting acro's or have them, start reading!

I think it would be safe to say that if you didn't know about the bugs and you have acros, then you probably have them already. Almost every acro frag I have got on a trade had them.

So get yourself some interceptor! :biggrin:

StirCrazy
10-29-2005, 12:42 AM

got something to think about, are you sure you didn't have the flat worms all that time also and the they are what killed your acros instead of the red bugs?

Steve

StirCrazy
10-29-2005, 12:44 AM

money, it would cost a lot for a comercial store to treat as they would have to do all there tanks at once and anything cool, like acro crabs, would be killed off. also the cost of waterchanges alone would be though the roof.

Steve

christyf5
10-29-2005, 12:45 AM

money, it would cost a lot for a comercial store to treat as they would have to do all there tanks at once and anything cool, like acro crabs, would be killed off. also the cost of waterchanges alone would be though the roof.

Steve

Plus they would have to treat every coral coming in as well, thats alot of work at 2am or whatever odd time they come in at the airport.

StirCrazy
10-29-2005, 12:47 AM

Steve

Plus they would have to treat every coral coming in as well, thats alot of work at 2am or whatever odd time they come in at the airport.

yup, but why are we discussing this in a reagional club forum, maybe it should be moved to "reef" :mrgreen:

Steve

christyf5
10-29-2005, 12:48 AM
because it was an offer of interceptor to Vancouverites :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
10-29-2005, 12:55 AM
because it was an offer of interceptor to Vancouverites :rolleyes:

ah, so it should be in the buy/sell/trade/for free section then :mrgreen:

Steve

christyf5
10-29-2005, 01:01 AM
keep typing Steve, you'll get to 7000 posts yet :rolleyes: :razz:

StirCrazy
10-29-2005, 01:17 AM
keep typing Steve, you'll get to 7000 posts yet :rolleyes: :razz:

ya if I didn't pretty much take that 6 months off could you imagin where I would have been :mrgreen:

Steve

WWWD
10-29-2005, 01:44 AM
fyi oa does treat for interceptor from time to time.

rickjames
10-29-2005, 03:04 AM
fyi oa does treat for interceptor from time to time.

If that is the case, they might as well not do it at all. It is an all or nothing thing, IMHO.

On another note, all it would take is placing all acros in one system and doing the treatments. Apparently, the bugs won't live more then 5 days without an acro, or so Eric Borneman has found in his tests.

Chin_Lee
10-29-2005, 03:10 AM
I'm going to treat for the first of three treatments this weekend. I got a tablet from Jesse a few months back so I'll be using that to treat first. Then hopefully the deal with WWWD's vet vet pulls through :eek:
Just waiting for my peppermint shrimp to go into the trap. I've caught 3 of the four shrimps in my system so its just a matter of time before he climbs into the trap :confused:

untamed
10-29-2005, 05:25 AM
money, it would cost a lot for a comercial store to treat as they would have to do all there tanks at once and anything cool, like acro crabs, would be killed off. also the cost of waterchanges alone would be though the roof

I was actually suggesting that they treat the coral after they've removed it from the main display tanks...before they sell it to me. The coral I purchased clearly had some bugs and I was told they were harmless. So far, that seems to be the case...but that seems contrary to the experience of the posters here.

rickjames
10-29-2005, 05:59 AM
money, it would cost a lot for a comercial store to treat as they would have to do all there tanks at once and anything cool, like acro crabs, would be killed off. also the cost of waterchanges alone would be though the roof

I was actually suggesting that they treat the coral after they've removed it from the main display tanks...before they sell it to me. The coral I purchased clearly had some bugs and I was told they were harmless. So far, that seems to be the case...but that seems contrary to the experience of the posters here.

It can take hours for the bugs to die from interceptor, so a dip treatment doesn't work.. basically the only way you are going to get a frag with no red bugs is to treat it yourself.

WWWD
10-30-2005, 03:11 AM
it's pretty much your own responsibility to dip and treat corals put into your system to protect your livestock.

props
11-03-2005, 01:53 PM
any update on the pills?