PDA

View Full Version : heat and aqua-pro lights

fresh
10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

I noticed that my 72 gal tank is having heat swings from 77 before lights to 82 just before the lights go off!!!

Now that is a huge shift in temperature in one day for any fish or coral!

Is this normal? Do others have the same problem? How do you fix it?

The light is mounted with the legs that you can buy from the store, so there is a good 4-6 inches between the light and the water.

I just installed a small clip-on fan on the lip of the tank to help with circulating the air and hopefully lowering down the temperature.

Anybody else has the same problem? Any advice? I really am concerned.

Thanks
Fresh.

monza
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Extra unwanted heat from lights and pumps can be a problem. Very common, your fan should really help. The ultimate fix would be a chiller but they cost alot. Do some research: maybe a bigger fan on a timer would be the next step if your clip on fan does not keep the temp down.

Dave

Invigor
10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
keep the air movement up when the lights are on...but watch the evaporation, it's a lot more with fans on.

vertex
10-26-2005, 11:27 PM
My temp swings about 3-3.5 degrees each day on a 33 with the coralife PC 192W fixture. Havn't tried to reduce this but it doesn't seem to be a problem with any tanklife (at least that I know of).

seashells
10-27-2005, 12:25 AM
I was getting 4-5 degree swings with the legs. i got the optional ceiling kit and raised the lights an addional 3 inches. The temperature is held to a less than 3 degree swing. Also its now easier to open the glass top without bumping the light.

Doug

fresh
10-27-2005, 03:54 PM
I would like to update all of you that the fan trick actually worked. My temp stays at 77 constantly now. May be a +/- 1 but that I can live with and I am sure my animals can too :lol:

For anybody who is interested, it is a clip-on fan that is about 6" in diameter that I just stuck at the back of the tank. I will probably get more evaporation this way (as stated before), but that only means that I have to stay on top of my top-offs (pun intended) :wink: