PDA

View Full Version : Can't buy copepods

Hightower
10-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Why is it so hard to buy copepods/amphipods?

No one sells them. copepods.com lists islandscallops.com on the island as a distributor, but they emailed saying they dont carry this anymore.

Where the heck can I get more pods?

I had what I though to be alot, but am worrying a little about my mandarin, who doesnt look so fat. There is about 100lbs of live rock, and I have a refugium which there are a visible few, but it seems the population is dwindling faster than I thought.

hockey nut
10-26-2005, 07:34 AM
How old is your tank?

Have you tried feeding him frozen mysis etc. Also how about live brine shrimp you can hatch yourself? They are small but may work.

Cheers

jws444
10-26-2005, 09:06 AM
If your pod population is dwindling, adding some more copepod stock may not solve the problem, and buying them is horrendously expensive. I think reefcrew sells them at some insane price. (45 bucks for 100 pods)

It could be that their food source needs a boost. Have you tried adding phyto into the tank? DT's is good when you're in a pinch, even though it's mostly water. You can get the super concentrated type even at Big Al's or Ocean Aquatics if you're in that area.

StirCrazy
10-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Why is it so hard to buy copepods/amphipods?

No one sells them. copepods.com lists islandscallops.com on the island as a distributor, but they emailed saying they dont carry this anymore.

Where the heck can I get more pods?

I had what I though to be alot, but am worrying a little about my mandarin, who doesnt look so fat. There is about 100lbs of live rock, and I have a refugium which there are a visible few, but it seems the population is dwindling faster than I thought.

do you have any Pod piles in your tank, if not put some in so the Pods have a safe place to multiply that the mandrin cannot get them from. also how big is your tank?

Steve

Hightower
10-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

It could be Im just paranoid, but I wanted to ensure his survival.

I do dose DT phyto twice a week for the corals. also add a pinch in the refugium. Even cyclopleeze.

Its a 90 gallon tank with about 90-100lbs of rock.

I do have a couple of rubble rock piled up in a corner hoping that would help.

The thing is I cant see them in the main aquarium, but only in my 10gal fuge.

There is cheato in there and red algae, and there is decent a number of them in there visibly. Its gravity fed back to the main tank, so Im not sure if they are getting there. I did take a piece of red algae and put it in the main tank.

Can't understand why they are so hard to buy, and if available why so expensive. They are supposedly something that multiplies like crazy.

christyf5
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
moved to Reef forum

I would imagine that nobody sells copepods because there isn't much profit in it. Everyone says they want some but they don't want to pay for them. The problem in "rearing" copepods is the overhead required, tank space, lighting etc etc. Live feed becomes pretty pricey when you are putting all your efforts into it on its own and not just a side product of a bigger business such as a frag farm or something.

I think its just as easy to get some from someone that has a refugium or something to boost your population.

JMO
Christy :)

Hightower
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
moved to Reef forum

I think its just as easy to get some from someone that has a refugium or something to boost your population.

JMO
Christy :)

With that in mind, Does anyone have any to offer for sale in the BBY/Van area?

Thanks

michika
10-27-2005, 12:53 AM
What materials make a good pod pile? Densly stacked rock that prevents any pod-eaters from getting in?

StirCrazy
10-27-2005, 01:17 AM
What materials make a good pod pile? Densly stacked rock that prevents any pod-eaters from getting in?

Broken chunks about 3/4 to 1" in diamiter that are pilled up enuf to prevent fish from getting in them and eating the pods.

Steve

Jason McK
10-27-2005, 03:42 AM
What about trying
http://www.copepod.com/
Not sure what the cost would be to ship or even if they Do

I know the Phyo Feast this company makes is now being sold at OA so it could be possible that OA could add Pods to it's regular order for you

J

Kabong
10-27-2005, 04:00 AM
Ive never dealt with this company myself. But they do have pods
http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2_101&products_id=475

There in Quebec though so you'd have to pay a "few" bucks for overnite shipping and heat packs.

jws444
10-27-2005, 04:31 AM
Ive never dealt with this company myself. But they do have pods
http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2_101&products_id=475

There in Quebec though so you'd have to pay a "few" bucks for overnite shipping and heat packs.

This is still by Reef Crew so he's back to square one really. Good site though. the owner Ivan, is a great guy.

Hightower
10-27-2005, 05:00 AM
What about trying

J

I checked with them.

20$ for 500 pods 30bucks shipping fedex plus 4.75 for special packing.

$54.75 U.S

Yikes

Veng68
10-27-2005, 06:25 AM
What about trying

J

I checked with them.

20$ for 500 pods 30bucks shipping fedex plus 4.75 for special packing.

$54.75 U.S

Yikes

If they use Fedex or any other courier........ count on paying 30-35 more for brokers fees.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]