PDA

View Full Version : Want 4' VHO or NO Actinic bulbs (Victoria/Island)

TNTCanada
10-26-2005, 03:55 AM
I just put in my new Ice Cap 660 yesterday. I want to run 4/4' Actinic bulbs. I have a couple right now would like two more until I make it over to the main land in a month or so where I plan to buy new ones. I am not to worried about how old they are for now it is just for the look. If any one has any old bulbs kicking around for free or cheep to tide me over drop me a line.

Cheers
Tyler

StirCrazy
10-26-2005, 04:01 AM
I just put in my new Ice Cap 660 yesterday. I want to run 4/4' Actinic bulbs. I have a couple right now would like two more until I make it over to the main land in a month or so where I plan to buy new ones. I am not to worried about how old they are for now it is just for the look. If any one has any old bulbs kicking around for free or cheep to tide me over drop me a line.

Cheers
Tyler

don't waist your time using VHO bulbs on an Icecap if you have to buy them new, NO actinics (philips 04's) are about 17 bucks each.

I actualy might have a couple.. let me check and get back to ya.

Steve

StirCrazy
10-26-2005, 04:10 AM
Nope don't have them, I think Brad stoled them when he was trying to blow up his actinics.

Steve

TNTCanada
10-26-2005, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the info where are you buying them from?

Cheers
Tyler

StirCrazy
10-26-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the info where are you buying them from?

Cheers
Tyler

Albright usaly

TNTCanada
10-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Thanks Steve I will check them out tomorrow

Cheers
Tyler

christyf5
10-26-2005, 06:25 AM
Pardon me for butting in Tyler. :mrgreen:

Steve, why don't we want to buy VHO bulbs?? Do the NO bulbs get overdriven??

Thanks

Christy :)

StirCrazy
10-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Pardon me for butting in Tyler. :mrgreen:

Steve, why don't we want to buy VHO bulbs?? Do the NO bulbs get overdriven??

Thanks

Christy :)

a Icecap ballast only drives bulbs at HO levels, no NO no VHO so when you use a VHO you are under driving it to HO output and a NO is overdriven to HO output. this is why everyone was commenting about 2 years ago about how NO are almost as bright as VHO's on an Icecap ballast, and even my own testing showed the price difference wasn't worth the difference in light output. especially, since we only use them for coloring the tank anyways.

Steve

muck
10-26-2005, 02:12 PM
hmm... good to know Steve, Thanks!! :cool:

christyf5
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
But wouldn't driving a NO bulb give it a shorter life, while underdriving a VHO bulb give it a longer life? So replacing your NO bulbs twice as often would work out equally in price to replacing your VHO bulbs half as often?

Did that make sense? :razz:

StirCrazy
10-27-2005, 01:25 AM
But wouldn't driving a NO bulb give it a shorter life, while underdriving a VHO bulb give it a longer life? So replacing your NO bulbs twice as often would work out equally in price to replacing your VHO bulbs half as often?

um 17.50 for a NO compared to 70ish on the island for a VHO.. cheeper for the NO's by a long shot. and for what its worth I ran NO overdriven to VHO levels for almost two years befor they burnt out..

but when you start comparing NO on VHO current to VHO on VHO current there is no comparason.. VHOs will Kick there A$$ all over.

Steve

christyf5
10-27-2005, 01:49 AM

um 17.50 for a NO compared to 70ish on the island for a VHO.. cheeper for the NO's by a long shot. and for what its worth I ran NO overdriven to VHO levels for almost two years befor they burnt out..

but when you start comparing NO on VHO current to VHO on VHO current there is no comparason.. VHOs will Kick there A$$ all over.

Steve

$70 for VHO?? Holey crap! I was quoted about $30 a bulb. Maybe I should re-check that. :eek:

StirCrazy
10-27-2005, 12:18 PM

Steve

maybe they have come down localy, but they were 70.00 last year, and J&L is only 30 but then you have 100.00 in ferries to add to it :rolleyes: I know I get VHO when the opertunity is there to get it from J&L with out having to actualy go there, but that is only because I am overdriving VHOs now :mrgreen:

Steve

Steve

$70 for VHO?? Holey crap! I was quoted about $30 a bulb. Maybe I should re-check that. :eek:

christyf5
10-27-2005, 05:46 PM
OK so how the heck do you overdrive a VHO?? :eek:

StirCrazy
10-27-2005, 06:24 PM
OK so how the heck do you overdrive a VHO?? :eek:

Do ya realy want to know :twised:

first don't get Brad to wire it up or you will melt endcaps :mrgreen:

basicly use a workhorse 7 with two bulbs in series and use all 4 wires, VHO is 3 wires and 4 will give you about a 10% over drive.

Steve