PDA

View Full Version : Curing aggression...?

Go Lions!
10-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Hey, just picked up a 6 Line Wrasse today as a tankmate for the others. The dottyback I have was constantly harrassing so I put him in a salad colander floating at the top of my tank. How long should I leave him there for? How long till he mellows out a little? When can I let him out on parole?

Beverly
10-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Welcome to Canreef :smilecol:

Dottybacks, from my research, are notoriously aggressive, especially if they're the first ones in the tank. The only things I can suggest are removing the dottyback for a week or two (and keep the sixline in the tank), rearranging the rock, then re-introducing dottyback. Really don't know if that will reduce the dottyback's aggression, but it's the only thing I can think of.

BTW, how big is your tank?

HTH :smile:

Go Lions!
10-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Hey, that certainly wasn't encouraging news... But (sigh) you're probably right. Oh this sucks!! btw... it's a 45 gal tank. I think tomorrow I'm picking up a few more pieces of LR, re aranging the whole tank and letting him out tomorrow afternoon... If that STILL doesn't work... I'm afraid it's back to the LFS for the dotty... Any other ideas?

WWWD
10-26-2005, 09:00 AM
dottybacks pack a mean punch for a small fish. he will probably never be a community fish.

Renegade
10-26-2005, 10:46 AM
I've managed to keep both a six line and a dotty. Currently have a 45 gal corner tank. The dottyback leaves the fish alone but i can't keep any shrimp. GRRRR 30 bucks down the hole when i put in a couple cleaner fish. Thats not how i like to see my money disappear. "Treats" for my dottyback lol. Mine is faily large about 3" or so, as long as my yellowtang. But my tank everyone is getting alone now. I acually had more problems with my 6-line, mine was very agressive. The dottyback probly put him in his place. lol. well good luck hope things work out they are nice fish.

Kyle

mark
10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Tried the colander, moving rock but after the coris went carpet surfing and the cleaning shrimp not being able to keep antennas, mine went back to the LFS.

Go Lions!
10-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for your responses! To my amazement the diadema has mellowed out considerably. I basically doubled my live rock and re-arranged the ENTIRE tank just before letting him out. I was VERY disheartened when after about an hour of initial hopefullness, he was chasing the wrasse around the tank again, but this subsided a few hours later and both are tolerating each other now with the new abundance of LR. This has me hopefull, but needless to say, if I could do it all over again I certainly wouldn't have accumulated these fish in the order I did! (a lesson for everyone who didn't know)