PDA

View Full Version : Sump Baffle Material?

tinpusher
10-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I am turning a old 50 gallon into a sump/refugium. I am using a design found at the following link.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html

I phoned Industrial plastics and was quoted $25 per sq. foot cut to size for aquarium 1/2" acrylic. Is there a cheaper plastic that will serve the purpose. I don't need to see through it as the refugium viewing will be through the 50 gal. glass.

Thanks for all your help, this is a great forum

Doug
the question man :lol:

muck
10-25-2005, 07:55 PM
so what is the 1/2" acrylic for..??
If its for baffles i would just get some 1/4" glass pieces cut at a local glass shop. Or if you have access to 1/4" glass from somewhere cut it yourself. Its pretty easy.

Delphinus
10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Muck's right, you don't need 1/2" acrylic for baffles. That will cost a fortune.

Go with glass. Securing acrylic to glass can be fun (by "fun" I really mean "not fun"). It's far easier to secure glass to glass (using silicone). Silicone sticks really well to glass, not so well to acrylic.

Cut glass should be cheaper even if you get it at a glass shop, but if you can find scraps or whatnot you can probably do it for a pretty minimal price. "Clear float" is I think what you want to look for (aka "standard glass"). 1/4" or 6mm should be OK. I would think that for baffles since they're not holding water back you could get away using 4.5mm, although I myself have always used 6mm. Maybe someone else can comment on using 4.5mm for baffles..

Anyhow just my $0.02.. Good luck!

tinpusher
10-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Acrylic is what was used on the site where I found the plans. I also thought acrylic woud be easier to work with as I have never done anything with glass. I will call the local glass man today and get a quote. Would you cut the baffles exactly to width (ie snug) or leave a bit for silicone between the baffle and tank side? Is there any specific silicone that you recommend? Are all silicones toxic free?

Thanks Muck and Delphinus

reeferaddict
10-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Go with even 3/16" acrylic.... can cut with a carbide saw blade carefully, or a triple ground if you have one... make the panels 1/8" smaller than you need and then run beads on both sides... had mine like that for 2 years with no problems.... you aren't going for strength... just redirecting the water flow...

Invigor
10-25-2005, 10:02 PM
if you've got a glass cuter, a yard stick and a tube of silicone, working with glass is much easier than acrylic. I think the 3 combined would be cheaper than a saw blade.

and if you didn't notice, marc's sumps are 100% acrylic, and he builds loads of them, so he's a champ at working with the stuff.

a tip if you go the glass route: ask them to sand down two corners of each piece of glass that touches the bottom of the tank -- It will make for an easier fit against the bead of silicone that's already there.

I use "Silicone I Kitchen and Bath" by GE found at most hardware stores.

tinpusher
10-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Was wondering what to do at the bottom corners. I did not know they could sand corners of glass. Thanks Invigor. Any suggestions on type of silicone?

Invigor
10-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks Invigor. Any suggestions on type of silicone?

:mrgreen:

edit: I guess they don't make silicone I anymore, silicone II should work fine as well.

muck
10-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks Invigor. Any suggestions on type of silicone?

:mrgreen:

edit: I guess they don't make silicone I anymore, silicone II should work fine as well.
I just bought 3 tubes of the silicone I a week ago at Home Depot. :cool:

zulu_principle
10-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi Doug

Make sure the silicon says "safe" or "ideal" for aquariums.

Let me know if you want to go with plexi, I have lots available and can cut to the dimensions required.

Wendell
www.oceanaquatics.com

muck
10-25-2005, 10:44 PM
The baffles do not have to be a perfect fit if you use glass either. I find it usually easier to cut the piece of glass just slightly smaller than your inside width of the tank and the silicone will fill it in. And as Tony stated it can be a challenge to attach acrylic to glass.

targaboy78
10-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Don't quote me on this... But somewhere in the millions of DIY threads I read that you shouldn't use plexi or acrylic baffles in a glass aquarium (or at least not cut the baffles so that they are too snug).

Basically, long story short... plexi/acrylic expands more than glass and at a lower temperature. If the baffles are tight to start with, the extra expansion could create pressure and end up causing the glass to break.

Whereas, glass baffles in a glass tank (or acrylic in an acrylic tank) would expand at the same rate as the tank structure.

I don't know if it is true or not... Just letting you know that I read it on the internet.

mr_alberta
10-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Don't use GE Silicone II. From what I understand it has anti-mildew agents in it that will wipe out your tank.

tinpusher
10-26-2005, 09:36 PM
I was at Home Depot today and both GE I & II have the anti mildew agents. The salesperson said he had nothing that he would trust for aquariums.

muck
10-26-2005, 09:44 PM
They should carry the GE Silicone I for Windows and Doors. It will say 100% silicone on the tube. If it says that your good to go. Do not get the kitchen and bath silicone as that has the anti-mildew agent added.

Ive been using the "GE Silicone I Windows and Door" myself for years and never a problem.

targaboy78
10-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Canadian Tire carries silicone that is good for aquariums. It's in a green and white tube but I can't remember the brand name or anything.

I am pretty sure that I have a tube around here somewhere but I am in the middle of a reno and I can't find a thing.

If you still can't find anything by the weekend, let me know and I'll pop in to CDN Tire and get the product name and details.

reeferaddict
10-27-2005, 11:11 AM
BOTH Canadian Tire and Home Hardware sell a brand of silicone that says right on the packaging "Ideal for Aquariums"... no special extra price or anything, only comes in clear or white that I could find, just regular Interior Silicone... get that kind... :mrgreen:

If you really need black... GE 1200 Series construction silicone... but I'm not sure where to buy it.

targaboy78
10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
This morning while I was looking for my car keys, I find the silicone.
Yup, figures I find it when I' no longer looking for it.

Mastercraft Interior & Exterior Silicone 67-0859-0

Description on the back "Ideal for aquarium repair (allow 2-5 days before filling aquarium)"

HTH