PDA

View Full Version : lighting for a 10g?

tacmedic
10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm a noob to nanoreefing, but have been running FW tanks for years, I have a 10g tank laying around, and would like to turn it into a nanoreef tank! I have been to nano-reef.com and got some really good info, but I'm looking for some more specifics! Most importantly, lighting....I know there are alot of options for lighting out there, but no site I have been to has really given me a clear idea of what lighting I should use on a 10g setup! I'm thinking of getting the 2x36 Bright kit from A H supply seen at http://ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm ....I'm a little confused still as to "how much wattage" I need to use? 1x55w, 1x36w, 2x55w, 2x36w? I think the 36w bulbs will fit better on top of the 10g tank, but will it be enough light, or should I go with a 2x setup?? Sorry for the simpleton question, but as soon as I figure this out, I can start to get setup!!

muck
10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
It really depends on what you want in the tank.
If you want to do a softy tank with a few LPS corals PC lighting would be fine. If your looking at keeping a clam and SPS you might want to lean more towards MH lighting. (150W DE or 175W SE would work great)

Give us an idea of where you want to go with the tank and the info will come in.. :mrgreen:

Bob I
10-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Well I will dive right in. I have gotten lighting from AH Supply. It is nice, and I would got the 2X36W route, except for a couple of things. The first one is that I have not yet seen any 36W bulbs in Canada. The second is cost By the time you pay exchance, and shipping, and GSY and handling at the border you are looking at a pretty steep price.
I have one of these kits.and two on a 10 would be nice.
http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/LICU-SP32R.html?L+scstore+nksh6084ff0e940e+1130191184
I have one of these too, and on a 10 it would be great.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-pc.php?product_ID=pc-al2096

Of course going the MH route right at the start would be a good idea if your plans involve any high light stuff, but if not, the lights I picked are very good. :mrgreen:

Matt
10-25-2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16951&highlight=

This topic centres on the 96w coralife fixture, which I have over my 10g and like a great deal.

Matthew

geopod
10-25-2005, 03:23 AM
Ryan.

I have the same light over my Nano as well.But like Ryan says it all depends what you want to stick in there.Will depend on what type of lighting you use.

george

tacmedic
10-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the info Bob, I'm not totally convinced that after exchange and all that the cost would be too too bad, unless that second light you posted comes with bulbs (not too sure), then its a great deal! Now, as for what I'm going to put in the tank, I'm not too sure! I'm very new to the whole nano reef thing, and I don't know what I'm going to put in for coral...I know I want colour, and lots of it, but I know nothing about coral, at all! I was hoping for some clowns, some peppermint shrinp, a crab, but for plant life the jury is still out.....I've been trying to wade through some of the posts, but I'm not sure why, I'm having a hard time grasping what corals are what, and what they prefer?

EDIT: ok, looked around, it seems that most of the coral I want is medium/high light, medium current......Stuff like pulsing anthelia, xenia, orange and green zoos

Matt
10-25-2005, 01:58 PM
The coralife 96W does indeed come with a bulb.

Bob I
10-25-2005, 03:33 PM
For what you have posted as occupants of the tank, both the lights I posted are more than adequate. :mrgreen:

tacmedic
10-25-2005, 07:16 PM
is this coralife 96W system noisy at all with the cooling fans in it?? And would you recommend the legs with the system too (I'm leaning toward that..)

Bob I
10-26-2005, 07:16 PM
is this coralife 96W system noisy at all with the cooling fans in it?? And would you recommend the legs with the system too (I'm leaning toward that..)

There is only one fan. The rest are just dummy holes (as far as I can tell) The fixture is not at all noisy. I would use the legs. Mine came with the fixture, but it was used. :biggrin:

nanosteve
10-26-2005, 07:31 PM
I have the 96W as well, and like it a great deal.

Get the legs for sure. I'm not sure you can keep the heat down on the tank without them.

Steve

tacmedic
10-26-2005, 07:51 PM
thanks for all the info.......I'll see if I can get something started soon!