PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang looking bad?

Gizmo
10-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Hey all, I noticed that my yellow tang seems to be thinning out around the middrift, despite watching him attempt to eat lots. Today I fed mysis and he was trying to eat it and the food just sort of fell out of his mouth and he would then proceed to another morsal of food. I'm not sure what to do. I have a cleaner in the tank that I've observed cleaning him at least once a day, so I'm sure there are no parasites.

http://www.syberdyne.ca/canreef/tang.jpg

mr_alberta
10-24-2005, 01:21 AM
What are you feeding the tang? It does look like it is wasting away..

dirtyreefer
10-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Yellow Tangs will not survive on a "meat" based diet, as they are herbivores. Try feeding nori or spiraluna based flake food, or at least soak your mysis in selcon to add some vitamins.

Gizmo
10-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Sorry, That was just todays feed, He eats Nori, and cyclopleeze, and flakes. If you guys dont think he looks bad, then I'm ok. I just thought his stomach looked a little sunken in.

dirtyreefer
10-24-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure about the mortality rate of a sunken stomached tang, but he's got good coloration still. Does it still eat? As long as he wants to keep eating, I would just keep feeding him as much veggie matter as he can almost handle.

If he's not eating, then you have a problem.

christyf5
10-24-2005, 02:38 AM
When I got my scopas tang he had sort of a sunken lumpy gut. I had to feed him constantly to get it to the point where it had that smoothed out round look. Then I cut back on the feeding. It probably took about 3-4 weeks.

Christy :)

Gizmo
10-24-2005, 02:51 AM
I've had ol'yeller here for about 4 months now, I just noticed it this weekend during a maintenance cleaning. He is still trying to eat. I guess its just a waiting game.

dirtyreefer
10-24-2005, 03:07 AM
Keep us posted on his condition, hopefully he'll fatten up :)

TNTCanada
10-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Try Nori with garlic

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Tyler

RD
10-26-2005, 03:31 PM
My advice ......... feed this fish New Life Spectrum (exclusively) for 2 weeks, then post back with the results. And no, I'm not solicitating for biz, you can go down to the Big Al's in Edmonton & buy it there. (Marine formula)
I simply hate to see your fish wasting away due to an improper diet.

Take a look at the yellow tang in the pics in this thread, and what this person feeds all his marine fish. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=95507

Read the following comment that was posted to me on another forum, by another former non believer. The comment below was posted to me by an employee at Riverfront Aquariums in Calgary. (and they don't even carry NLS)

I wanted to try NLS because of the great things I'd heard here but I was mostly concerned keeping my Yellow and Regal Tangs healthy. The Yellow had a bit of LLE when I got him and no matter what I tried I could only stop it from getting worse, not improve it. Feeding a pellet once a day really goes against the prevailing opinions on keeping tangs but what I saw of Pablo's tanks convinced me to try it.

It has only been four days but I'm already very impressed, and believe me I started out pretty skeptical. The first thing that got me was the way my Green Spotted Puffers went after this stuff, I really didn't expect that. Puffers don't often eat prepared foods and I've never seen two 4" GSPs fight over 1mm pellets, it's amazing. All of the marine fish I've tried it with go after it with gusto, even my Scooter Blenny and he hasn't been eating anything lately.

The thing that has really got me excited though is the Yellow Tang, as soon as I walked into the room today I noticed a huge change. His colour is absolutlely amazing! I fed the little bugger macro algae for a month and didn't see anything even a little bit this good out of him. It's hasn't been long enough for a colour enhancer to do this alone, this has to be one very happy fish.

I think that BA"s in Edmonton sell the small 150 gram containers for $14.99, so for a very small investment you just might be able to turn that fish around?

If you travel through Calgary, you can buy NLS at Gold Aquariums.

Good luck ......

truperc
10-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I swear by nori. I put a quarter sheet folded 3 times in a lettuce clip daily. I have the fattest, healthiet looking tang I have seen. I have a few other fish that pick at it but the yellow tang is the biggest consumer.

albert_dao
10-26-2005, 07:32 PM
I swear by nori. I put a quarter sheet folded 3 times in a lettuce clip daily. I have the fattest, healthiet looking tang I have seen. I have a few other fish that pick at it but the yellow tang is the biggest consumer.

He does feed nori:

Sorry, That was just todays feed, He eats Nori, and cyclopleeze, and flakes. If you guys dont think he looks bad, then I'm ok. I just thought his stomach looked a little sunken in.

It's not enough.

Something else is missing.

Xtasia
10-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Serve Frozen Formula 2 (I think that's the algae based one). Cut the food up smaller... Soak it in selcon and garlic... Turn off the power head when you are feeding so the food moves slower...

You said he's going for it, but can't quite get it down...

maybe this will help...