PDA

View Full Version : lr what to do?

martym
10-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Had somw LR delivered today from a private sale. It was covered in bubble algea, and brissle/fire worms. How should I re-cure it. Put it into a seperate container in the dark, fill with salt water and let it cirulate or let it dry out? and start over.

vanreefer
10-22-2005, 10:38 PM
It depends on how quickly you want to use it... If you have the time I say chuck it in some change water in a dark spot with a heater and a PH and let it cook... if you want it quickly a fresh water bath and a few hours in a low temp oven outta get rid of the Bubbles

Just my .02

martym
10-22-2005, 10:55 PM
in an oven, that would stink. i don't thank so. Its in fresh water now. That should kill the worms. srub it well tomorrow and see what it looks like. Any other ideas?

Ruth
10-22-2005, 11:07 PM
I don't thing they meant in an oven. There are lots of threads on "cooking" live rock on RC - it's basically keeping them in a bucket with a powerhead and heater - no light - and lots of water changes. Will kill off most undesired algea and keep the rock alive.
Marty are you setting up a new tank? I thought you were done? Good for you if you are staying in the game.

martym
10-22-2005, 11:30 PM
After I sold most of the extra items, my wife calmed down. It was amazing how the stuff i wanted for setting up my sysstem didn't sell.HEHEHEHE :evil: So yah I'm still in the game. This is my set up
80g tank
135g sump no baffles so full
OA skimmer with MAK4
mag18 return
UV sterlizer
soon to have a 20g refugium beside main tank
2 x 175w with 2 NO actinics lighting
wave maker pro with 2 MJ1200's

Ruth
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
Well that is great. Sometimes I think it is fate how things work out in the end.