PDA

View Full Version : What tests are done on a weekly basis for a reef tank?

seashells
10-22-2005, 08:45 PM
What tests are fellow reefers doing on a weekly basis?[/list][/code]

Doormatt
10-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Um...Polls are a bad idea for this type of question, since you can only select one answer.

Once a tank is cycled, I'd say most people test for Calcium, PH, Nitrates on a weekly basis.

Tarolisol
10-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I test alk, calcium, and ph.

Ruth
10-22-2005, 08:58 PM
I agree a poll is not a great idea 'cause you can only pick one and I think most of us test for more than one on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I test for PH daily (monitor), and calcium, alk/dhk, mg and salinity on a weekly basis. I will test for nitrates if I think they may be getting too high and occasionally test for PO4, L2, and Sr.
Of course on a new tank I test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily as well as monitoring ph and salinity.

seashells
10-22-2005, 09:17 PM
My apologies to all. Post and learn.

Doug

StirCrazy
10-22-2005, 10:30 PM
ok I want to vote but they don't have the right selection

I would creat another bullet that says "Ca, Alk, PH, temp, MG, and Salinity"

I test these every week or two and record the values and date in a book, this will alow me to see trends developing andd after a while you can predict changes based on your weekly tests.

Steve

vanreefer
10-22-2005, 10:34 PM
same as Steve

Ruth
10-22-2005, 10:47 PM
It's still a good question to ask even if it does not work that well in a poll. I know when I first started out I had no clue what to test for or how often. I record my reading on a document I made up for word so I can see changes that occur and monitor a change once I have made it - for example if I have to lower my calcium and want to make sure I am not going too quickly.

Johnny Reefer
10-22-2005, 11:57 PM
I test all those listed, once/week, except for Mg; Sr; NO2; and I.
Also test Specific Gravity and temp. (Temp checked daily and then some).
All is recorded in a log (except for the daily temp readings).
Records are for the same reasons as others have already indicated.

Cheers,

Beverly
10-23-2005, 01:09 AM
I would creat another bullet that says "Ca, Alk, PH, temp, MG, and Salinity"

I test these every week or two and record the values and date in a book, this will alow me to see trends developing andd after a while you can predict changes based on your weekly tests.

I'm with Steve, here. Keep a log of Ca, alk, Mg, salinity, before lights on pH/after lights out pH for several weeks. If you're adding new corals to your system, test for a longer period of time.