PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if a tank is tempered?

Doormatt
10-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Hey everyone!

I've got (what I'm 95% sure is a) 37G tank. When I was talking to one of the guys at Ocean Aquatics, he said that he's rarely seen a tempered 37G tank. Now that I do a few searches, I see that all the charts list 37G tanks as being tempered. How do I know if my tank IS tempered, and if so, is there any way of telling if it's just the bottom pane?

Thanks!

Edmonton Eskimo
10-22-2005, 07:50 PM
contact the manufacturer. That is the only surefire way to know.

Doormatt
10-22-2005, 08:01 PM
*grin*

Well, either that, or try and drill it :biggrin:

I did some more research, and found out that tempered glass usually exhibits some polarization , so I whipped out my polarizer from my camera, and couldn't see any polarizing effects through the glass.

Also, I found this (http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/glass.html#7) link (the post at the bottom of the page), and I tried this as well. No cross was shown, so I'm hoping neither of the sides are polarized, or it's just the bottom (which is fine). I'm just going to take it to OA, and get them to drill it (if they will), and we'll see what happens.

AndyL
10-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Actually there is a way to test, it requires some polarized camera filters if I recall.

Do a search, I believe its been discussed here on canreef.

Andy

Doormatt
10-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Andy,

That's the method I linked to in my last post.

If two polarized camera filters are placed on opposite sides of tempered glass, a cross will on the filters.

As far as I can see, no cross with my glass, so I'm assuming only the bottom is tempered.