PDA

View Full Version : Theiving clowns

Ruth
10-22-2005, 04:42 PM
I have 2 large Sebae clowns that host in a very large green carpet anemone. My issue is trying to keep the anemone feed (with other things that my small fish). Everytime I feed it I have to chase the clowns away to allow the anemone time to actually get the food inside it and even then these clowns will dive bomb it for quite a while trying to steal it's food. I do feed the tank at the same time to try and distract them - sometimes it works but not for long. Any other suggestions out there? When I feed I do use a long feeding stick and try to get the food as close to the "mouth" as I can. The anemone does grab the food right away and close up but these clowns are briusers and really go after it to try and get the food.

Shy_Koi
10-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Any other suggestions out there? When I feed I do use a long feeding stick and try to get the food as close to the "mouth" as I can. The anemone does grab the food right away and close up but these clowns are briusers and really go after it to try and get the food.

Not sure if it will fit, but I've heard of people cutting the top off of a plastic 2 liter pop bottle and placing it over, to prevent fish & shrimp from stealing the food. Then just remove when it's finished eating.
A plastic strawberry basket would probably work as well...

~Tamara

Ruth
10-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks Tamara. I had thought of this but the anemone is right in the front of my tank between the rock and the glass. It is about 12-15" across when spread out so there is no way to get anything in there to cover it. It is also really sticky so to try and get a pop bottle in there to cover it's mouth would be difficult. I'm just getting tired of chasing 2 clowns around with a stick for 15 minutes while it gets it's grub inside where they can't get at it.

geopod
10-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Ok dont laugh at me here...I'm a thinkin....And I have a hard time doing that sometimes.If the carpet is that large then try an icecream bucket if you have room in there.Cut a few holes on it just to keep the water flowing through.And see if that works.....

george

EmilyB
10-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I used to stick a net on either side of the anemone. Helps to try and net the fish once in a while to keep them nervous... :lol: