PDA

View Full Version : Is 40W of light is enough for a fish only 30G tank?

sasha
10-22-2005, 04:04 AM
Hi guys,

I am in the begining of adding watter into my 30G(45cm high) tank and one question pops up. The tank comes with Hagen canopy 2x20W halogen bulbs(Hagen Marine Glo+Power Glo), but according to the tank's manual, for marine aquarium I would need at lest 2W/Gal = 60W. Do I really need to add extra 1 or 2 of 20W bulbs (I guess Hagen Glomat2 could be handy) or 40W would be Ok for a fish only tank?

Doormatt
10-22-2005, 04:13 AM
If it's truely fish only, it doesn't matter how much lighting you use. You could have no (that no as in zero) lighting, and they wouldn't mind in the slightest.

It's only with live rock (for coraline growth) and for corals that you need light.

sasha
10-22-2005, 04:16 AM
If it's truely fish only, it doesn't matter how much lighting you use. You could have no (that no as in zero) lighting, and they wouldn't mind in the slightest.

It's only with live rock (for coraline growth) and for corals that you need light.

Thanks a lot! I guess when I decide to go for corals I better change the canopy :lol:

Doormatt
10-22-2005, 04:18 AM
No worries!

The world of lighting is confusing and difficult at first!

If you have the money, and you want to keep basically everything under the sun, you'd probably want a 250W Metal Halide lamp over that.

vanreefer
10-22-2005, 01:25 PM
check out the newbie forum... there is a great intro to lighting sticky