PDA

View Full Version : setting up a quarantine tank

afreshoutlook
10-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Greetings,
Beginners mistake I have added a Gramma recently purhased & now comes the "ich".
My question, I have heard of two differentways to set up a tank. #1 you start from scratch, clean water, salt, h20 movement & filter, same temp, some hiding spots and add the ich formula,,
#2 same as above but have L/R

Soooooooooooooooooo which is the proper way?? Also do I have the salt & heat the same as mymain tank??

Also, as I can only see that one fish has it now, what about the others?? do I also add tem to the quarantine?

I have a 33 ready to go with water & salt & heated, with a fluval filter & air stone.
Thanks
Dwight

mark
10-22-2005, 01:50 AM
You can set it up with tank water (or matched to it), keep BB no LR. If you need to treat, then the LR becomes contaminated so shouldn't return to main tank when finished with the Q-tank. For hiding places use some pieces of PVC pipe.

Keep a eye on the others, no ich your lucky. If it's spread into the main, remove all to Q.

Might be worth a FW dip before placing in Q-tank.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-22-2005, 02:00 AM
Most of the ick medications (ie. containing Copper) will make your LR dead rock.

Johnny Reefer
10-22-2005, 02:45 AM
When I QT I use 50% water from the main tank and 50% new water.
I do 20% water changes daily, replacing with main tank water.
No LR.
Filter is just a 150 AquaClear. Just the foam. No carbon.
I try to match the temp and SG of the main tank.
Water circulation is only that what is created from the AquaClear.
I medicate with Coppersafe.
The tank is a 20g.

HTH.

Cheers,

mark
10-22-2005, 02:52 AM
Definitely second Johnny Reefer with the water changes.

If you can't do the changes, at least test to keep a eye on things. Amazing how fast NH3 etc can build.

trilinearmipmap
10-22-2005, 04:40 AM
I suggest pre-cycling the foam filter insert, either seed it by letting it sit in your sump for a few weeks, or cycle the filter ahead of time using ammonia.

scuglass
10-22-2005, 05:33 AM
yup go with the foam in the sump always have a few in there so if u treat with meds u can just throw the foam out they are cheap

also check out rc and go to the fish disease form for other help