PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

Richard_Dicosimo
10-21-2005, 09:26 PM
i have designed a desk that will have 2 50gal tanks on it. The tanks will be conected to a single sump that both will share. I'm curious as to what i should put in the tanks. i like the idea of a small comunity tank but i also like the idea of having a small predator tank. basically i dont know what i want to put in the tanks and would like your help, and recomendations on how i should stock these tanks. i have also considered turing them into reef tanks. I just cant decide

please help

Richard

Beverly
10-22-2005, 01:26 AM
At the end of the day, your decision will probably be based on how much you want to spend on lighting. FO or FOWLR tanks will not require as much light as some reefs. You could get away with NO or PC lighting with FO or FOWLR tanks.

There are also several ways to set up reef tanks, depending again on how much you want to spend on lighting, or how much light you want on your desk. You can have a softie tank with PCs, lps corals with VHO lighting, or you could go whole hog and get MHs for sps corals.

Ruth
10-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Good points Bev. Also don't forget about additional flow and probably skimming if you decide to do SPS.
I think you are going to have to decide what pleases you the most and go with that.
A limiting factor may be that you are going to have a common sump so if you went with one FO or FOWLR and it was an aggressive tank your fish will require additional feeding which can result in higher or increased nitrate which some corals, particularly SPS, do not like.

Richard_Dicosimo
10-22-2005, 06:02 AM
im not worried about nitrates and lighitng or flow right now. if i have to go with metal halide i will. I'm more interested in what you guys would put in a tank if it was your option. i had already counted on having a skimmer, aswell as loads of flow. What i want is for you guys to sugest fish that you think would be cool to see in a tank, that maybe you dont see that often or something. i already have a 120 gal tank setup with the typical blue tang and clowns, and all that fun stuff so i kinda wanted you guys to maybe give me an idea. im not even realy sure what im looking for but i was hoping that maybe someone would have a cool idea that would make me go OHHHH YEAH thats an awesome idea thats what i should do.

Johnny Reefer
10-22-2005, 06:07 AM
Should or could?
Really it's a matter of personal choice, IMO.

Cheers,

Richard_Dicosimo
10-23-2005, 01:18 AM
I agree. I'm obviously not going to add a species that i dont think i would appreciate, or is appropriate. I was just hoping for some sugestions.

Beverly
10-23-2005, 01:22 AM
How about throwing out a few of the thoughts you've had for stocking the two tanks. Then we could offer opinions and suggestions. Might also help if you tell us what's in your other tank(s) so we know what livestock you already have.

Personally, I have not kept a predator tank, so I'm not a good person to advise on this issue. However, I've been under the impression that most predators grow pretty large.