PDA

View Full Version : Dow Flakes or similair cheap CA alternative

Werbo
10-19-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't have the funds to buy a CA reactor and I am finding that the greatest expense for my SPS dominated frag tank has been calcium (I am using about 1 kg Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium - about $20 per month). I've been researching from Bev awesome list at the top of the Reef forum (great idea by the way) and was reading this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

My question is regarding Dow Flakes and where to purchase it as my Home Depot in Victoria does not carry it. From the article: "Last month I reported on the purity of several brands of calcium chloride, including the relatively inexpensive Dowflake 77-80% Calcium Chloride available at Home Depot for about $12 for 50 pounds."

Where can u buy DOW Flakes. Anyone in Victoria using DOW flakes? Anyone in Vancouver? What other safe Ca alternatives are there available until I can afford a CA reactor?

Chin_Lee
10-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Tyler
check or call your local pool & spa places. They often carry it in the spring and summer months but you might be able to get the last few remaining bags from them.
my local pool & spa place carries them if you come over to the mainland, I can arrange to get one for you. The place is called Ideal Pool and Spa and its located on Fraser Hwy just two buildings east of 160 Street.
I just checked their website and looks like they have a distributor in Victoria.
Ideal - Victoria
Phone 1-250-881-7433 or Fax 1-250-881-7434
Rick Larson

Their web site is http://www.idealdistributors.com/poolabou.htm

Hope that helps. I used that stuff for about 6 months before I got my lazy butt to fix my calcium reactor that broke down. Now i don't use it anymore.
cwlee

Werbo
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Awesome Chin. I'll give Ideal a call

seashells
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Have you actually used pool calcium (calcium chloride) in your tank? This is usually a very corse product that does not desolve easily & actually creats quite a bit of heat as it disolves.

Chin_Lee
10-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Have you actually used pool calcium (calcium chloride) in your tank? This is usually a very corse product that does not desolve easily & actually creats quite a bit of heat as it disolves.

Yes specifically Dowflake 77-80% Calcium Chloride. Not that hard to dissolve, yes creates heat upon getting wet with water.

Werbo
10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
The author of the article, RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY, Ph.D is well known and respected bio chemist. Has anyone used DOW Flakes and had a negative experience that can be directly attributed to the calcium chloride pool product?

Chin_Lee
10-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Tyler
i think you can get a more accurate determination by putting that question to Reef Central members. Unfortuantely I don't believe the number of Canadians that do use Dow Flake can provide sufficient input as a basis for an informed decision.
I am going to put a poll for members to vote on their method of raising calcium and alkalinity.

seashells
10-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I spoke to Ideal and the Dow product is ordinary pool/spa calcium chloride, so any brand would work. Anybody got any ideas on using pool/spa chemical for pH & Alkalinity? Has anyone tried it? It would sure be convenient for me!

Chin_Lee
10-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I spoke to Ideal and the Dow product is ordinary pool/spa calcium chloride, so any brand would work. Anybody got any ideas on using pool/spa chemical for pH & Alkalinity? Has anyone tried it? It would sure be convenient for me!

I don't mean to minimize the intelligence of the employees of Ideal Pool and Spa but for all intensive purposes, in their line of work, calcium chloride is calcium chloride, The impurities and trace element differences between Dow Flake and Cow Cake brand or Fuzzy Wuzzy Pool brand is irrelevant to them. Their answer probably didn't take into consideration that you will be adding this product to water that "FISH" will be living in and not "HUMANS" to be swimiing in. It the same type of reasoning that aquarist probably don't buy ph UP or ph Down from Superstore or Canadian Tire in their pool and spa place because we just don't know what is their chemical composition.
Having said that, the recommended and compared product is specifically Dow Flake http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm

I would err on the side of caution and use what has been tested and tried. Other brands of pool calcium chloride, although in all likelihood is just as safe, is just not worth the risk. Taking into consideration of the amount of money in your system now, the inhabitants may react adversely to an unknown/undetermined chemical that would be hard to justify the savings of purchasing the other brands.

Of course, we are all educated people and ultimately, you can make the decision. But read through the above noted link and the following link to be more informed before going this route.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

Good luck

Werbo
10-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Thanks Chin Lee. I agree and would stick with the DOW flakes as they were that brand was specifically mentioned in the article (77-80% pure calciun chloride). Infact I already ordered some...

crusty1
10-20-2005, 04:17 AM
I bought Dow flake from total pet. They had to order it in for me and it wasn't as cheap as it could be. So, if you need some try there, but I would like to hear of a few alternatives.