PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Giesemann lights

Aquattro
10-19-2005, 05:32 AM
So does anyone have a creative way to install one of the giesemann 48" lights? I'm thinking of getting one, and suspending it might be tough (12' ceiling). Anyone have ideas, or seen stands like the coralife units?

Chin_Lee
10-19-2005, 05:55 AM
brad
how about making or buying two 90 degree bracket that you can secure to the wall and suspend the lights from that.
that way you don't have 6 feet of wire coming down from the ceiling.

Aquattro
10-19-2005, 06:02 AM
That could work, but there is a window behind the tank. Also, I think the fixtures are quite heavy, so the brackets would need to be pretty strong. But maybe an option. Thanks!

Jason McK
10-19-2005, 06:08 AM
I tried to find a 90 angle bracket when I lived in a Condo with radiant heat from the ceiling. Tough thing to find. I ended up with a ruff iron garden hooks. Looked awful and people laugh at me.
I tried to DIY something but eventually I made a hood and set the PFO lights on top.

Might be kinda cool to have 8 feet of cable from the ceiling

J

StirCrazy
10-19-2005, 12:31 PM
That could work, but there is a window behind the tank. Also, I think the fixtures are quite heavy, so the brackets would need to be pretty strong. But maybe an option. Thanks!

you can get some decrative beackets and mount them just above the window. if you find out how heavy the unit is then we can find the right kind of wall anchors. or I can bring my stud finder over and see where the studs are.

Steve

Aquattro
10-19-2005, 01:31 PM

J

It might, but aligning everything might be tough. And I think the ceiling might be higher than 12 feet, more like 14.
Jack sent me a link to some wall brackets from giesemann, but the site doesn't give measurements.

Jason McK
10-19-2005, 01:36 PM
It might, but aligning everything might be tough. And I think the ceiling might be higher than 12 feet, more like 14.
Jack sent me a link to some wall brackets from giesemann, but the site doesn't give measurements.

Oh ya I never thought of that. Not to fun to nudge the tanks over just a bit.
Don't you have 400W over your 75 now?
Why the change, if you don't mind me asking

J

Johnny Reefer
10-19-2005, 02:01 PM

J

It might, but aligning everything might be tough.

What if you used one of those handy dandy laser levels?
Maybe you could put a board across the tank. Set the level on that. Beam it up, Scotty, to the ceiling. Mark it. And Bob is Scotty's uncle! :lol:

Just an idea.

Ruth
10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Well what I am doing is having a couple of aluminium "U" brackets made with round holes in each of the top of the "U"'s. I will then run piano type wire up to the hooks on the ceiling. I am going to use one of those laser leves to line everything up - good idea. Don't know if that helps or not. My ceiling is only about 10' though - but I'm hoping the piano wire is a little less noticable than chain or cable or ??

Aquattro
10-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Don't you have 400W over your 75 now?
Why the change, if you don't mind me asking

J

Yes, I have 400w x 2 over it now, but they put a lot of heat into the tank with my current setup. I'm thinking that a dual 250w in an enclosed fixture over top an open tank might reduce the heat significantly to the point where I might not need to run a chiller. This is more a heat issue than anything to do with lighting.
I keep looking at a coralife 150w de setup, and there is almost no heat coming off the fixture, whereas I can't put my hand within 6 inches of the bare 400w bulbs without getting cooked. If those coralife fixtures came in 250w, I'd go that route.

christyf5
10-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Brad,

http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=56035&IDProductRelationship=383

WWWD
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
maybe the coralife legs can be modded to fit the geisemannn hood?

zulu_principle
10-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Brad

If you are looking for alternatives to Geisemann, for 2x250 HQI DE plus supplementary actinics look at sunlight supply and aqua-medic.

Wendell