PDA

View Full Version : which sea salt mix to choose?

sasha
10-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi There!
I am just starting my first marine aquarium, so far fish only.
Currently I have 30G Hagen tank with 2x20(marine glo+power glo), fluval 204, Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Skimmer ,301 powerhead,heater, hydrometer Carib Sea argonite sand(I am thinking to add some live sand to it to start cycling), bunch of tests, but no water :mrgreen:

Well, the first question is there anything crucial that I missed?

And the second one is which brand of seasalt mix is the most reliable?
Thanks in advance :cool:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-19-2005, 06:12 AM
I think most Canreefers are using either Instant Ocean or Kent. There are some newer brands out now that some have been trying but these are the two I've used. Instant Ocean is what's been in my tanks for the last few years.

Anthony

hockey nut
10-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi and welcome to Canreef.

As stated above Instant Ocean or Kent seem to be the most popular. Are you going to use tap water or RO water? Also if you don't already, get a good book on reef or marine fish keeping. That will help with some questions you will have later down the road and let you know what kind of fish can be kept in that size tank and how to care for them properly.

Enjoy the hobby and I warn you now...............................it is addicting :mrgreen:

HTH

vanreefer
10-19-2005, 08:11 AM
I have always used IO

Addicting nah... just cause I kicked the crack habit to afford that coral ... :lol:

EmilyB
10-19-2005, 08:13 AM
I have used Kent for six years.

sasha
10-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi and welcome to Canreef.

As stated above Instant Ocean or Kent seem to be the most popular. Are you going to use tap water or RO water? Also if you don't already, get a good book on reef or marine fish keeping. That will help with some questions you will have later down the road and let you know what kind of fish can be kept in that size tank and how to care for them properly.

Enjoy the hobby and I warn you now...............................it is addicting :mrgreen:

HTH

Hi guys! Thanks to everyone who answered. I'll see which one local petstores have in a "bucket" amount.
I guess I will start with the tap water first, do you think it would be a problem? :eek:

Matt
10-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I started with Red Sea, which has been fine, and I don't have any problems with it, except that it hasn't always adjusted PH really well. I have been reading a bit on this topic lately, and it is a storm of information and misinformation. IO, Reef Crystals, and Kent salts are all made by the same manufacturer (Aquarium Systems), and apparently test very similarly.

Red Sea has had many reported quality control problems.

Tropic Marin is widely regarded, but expensive.

Shimek published a study that recommends Marinemix (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php), which Fenner dismisses as junk (along with Shimek's analysis and methods). (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/seah2ofaq3.htm) and instead suggests Tropic Marin is the salt to use, or IO if you can't get/afford that.

The much discussed s-15 report done by AquaCraft (http://www.aquacraft.net/index.html) used a well-established lab to look at a bunch of salts and found all but theirs seriously wanting. but although their conclusions have been challenged, the science hasn't been (or at least not that I've found). In other words, the analysis seems to be accurate, even if the interpretations must be considered seriously self-serving in how they assigned the "scores".

Instant Ocean has scads of hobbyist's anecdotal support, and that's hard to argue with, but very few (none?) of us have the ability and skills to actually compare results fairly between brands. The popularity of any given salt is likely more related to the price and availability (marketing, IOW) than it's technical merits.

So... take my advice, and do what you want.