PDA

View Full Version : Reactor online

fishboy
08-12-2002, 01:51 AM
Ok, my DIY reactor has been on line for a day. Yipee!

The only problem so far is the feed into the unit. It's designed(similar to the PM reactor) to siphon the water into it. The siphon seams to be somewhat unreliable though.

Do you guys that have made your own reactors use a pump to feed them or a siphon system? I was thinking of tapping off my return pump to feed it. This would also eliminate the need to re-prime the siphone if the power goes out.

Other than that I just have to learn how to tune it.

http://www.dataonly.net/images/CaReactor.jpg

Aquattro
08-12-2002, 02:02 AM
Dwayne, the usual method is to feed a reactor with a pump. I use a small pump but you can T off your return line if it is easier.

StirCrazy
08-12-2002, 02:15 AM
hmm looks like I better get off my a$$ and get my reactor going .. got to build it first though LOL

Steve

fishboy
08-12-2002, 02:18 AM
It took me 3 months to get on line. Mind you I was out of town for 2 of those months.

ldzielak
08-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Nice system, looks ike mine, except I mad a second chamber. I use a small T off my pump going to the skimmer and have a flow control valve on it that adjust the flow through the system. My tests with controling the effluent were WET. I also made an inline filter with floss, same shape as a bubble counter, but with removable flange end. This keeps debris out of my valve and keeps the flow stable.

Question, were or how did you get the fitting to fit on the pump outlet?? I had no luck with any glues/solvents sticking to the Eheim plastic.

Lee

fishboy
08-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Lee,

I did T off my return pump and it works a lot better now.

I figure anything less than a gallon doesn't count as a spill so my tests have been pertect ;) .

I used the little adapters that came with the Eheim. Mine screw into a 3/8NPT so I used 3/8NPT - 1/2 slip and 1/2" PVC pipe. I really like the Eheim pump. Too bad they doen't make them big enough for a return pump.

Doug
08-14-2002, 10:31 AM
Very nice looking unit. :D

JoJo
08-15-2002, 04:36 AM
Hey Dwayne,

Nice unit!!! How much did the unit cost to build excluding the pump?? I am thinking of building one once I figure out where to get the valve on my 2lb cylinder replaced.

BTW, I noticed that you are using Aquaclear 5000 as your return pump. How high is the return line? is there sufficient water flow?? The rio 2500 on Ace's T1000 skimmer is on the way out,we thought of using the 5000 on it or even on my Berlin Classic. If this works, it is far cheaper than buying a Mag7, KingEd has the 5000 on sale for around $60. Thanks!!!

fishboy
08-15-2002, 10:44 PM
Danny,

I think it cost around $60 - $70 to build the actual unit. I didn't really keep track. The rest of the system is where all the money is.

The pump is a Eheim. Kind of pricy but very nice. Almost no noise at all.

Top to bottom the unit is 22". The chamber is 4" X 4" and takes almost a full container of ARM media.

JoJo
08-15-2002, 11:46 PM
Thanks Dwayne!

Did you do the cuts on the acrylic sheets yourself or had it cut to size??