PDA

View Full Version : Drilling tanks: Pros/Cons

Doormatt
10-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Hey Everyone!

I've been trying to figure out if I should drill my new tank or not. It's a 37G, so I've been told it's more than likely not tempered. I figure I want to put two holes in the back, one in each top corner, and that way I can put a sump in the bottom of the stand.

However...I've seen a few posts (here and other places) where the people offering to drill claim that they're not responsable for cracks during or after drilling. This is the part that's got me worried. I'm not so much worried about a crack during drilling, that's life, and I can deal with that. It's the "after drilling" part that causes me to lose sleep. Has anyone had serious problems with this, or am I just trying to find something new to worry about?

Also, if anyone knows a place in the Surrey/Delta (or farther out) that drills tanks, it'd be most appreciated. (I've e-mailed OA, but they haven't got back to me yet).

Thanks again!

Invigor
10-18-2005, 03:58 PM
got mine done at a glass shop for $25

2 holes shouldn't be a problem. gutting the "no guarantee" was difficult, but it's only the cost of a new piece of glass if they bugger up. in a 37gal that's probably not much..

when I got mine drilled, I worked it out what it would be if they broke it and I had to replace the glass, and it was still cheaper than buying a hang-on overflow..so I did it. It never broke, and I'm very happy! :mrgreen:

Johnny Reefer
10-18-2005, 04:04 PM
IMO, you'll lose more sleep if you go with an external overflow. They're risky.
Get it drilled.

Cheers,

Chaloupa
10-19-2005, 06:07 AM
I gotta agree with Johnny Reefer....I have both drilled and not...the one that is drilled is never a concern, the one that I have an overflow on is never a easy thing ! It is a bit of a pain in the *$# but I didn't want to go to the trouble of drilling it....DRILL IT!

Doormatt
10-19-2005, 06:21 AM
*Grin*

Thanks guys!

Now, I'm just planning to put a single hole in each corner. Any advice on how big each hole should be?

Or, should I be putting more than two holes in, and doing a closed loop system. The problem is...the tank is visible from all sides, so I can't see a closed loop looking nice.

reefburnaby
10-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi,

I would recommend drilling too. From experience, flooding will happen eventually with overflows - stupid snails!!! I drilled a 1.5 inch bulkhead in my 90g with water in it. I drilled through the back panel - 8 inches from the top and side and its 1/2 inch thick. I had it running for 2 years and it seems to be doing fine.

37G? Probably two 1 inch bulkheads will be fine. How much flow are you gonig to put through those bulkheads?

- Victor.

Reefhawk1
10-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Just got my 30 gallon cubes drilled and I am confident with the work done. Drillled is the way to go :cool:

Chin_Lee
10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
no cons with drilling IMO. Only pros