PDA

View Full Version : powerhead sucks

Edmonton Eskimo
10-18-2005, 02:56 AM
I came home today to see my powerhead eating my sebae anemone :cry: I have had this for a year and some and it grew from a baseball sized bleached white mess into a beautifully tan colored 12-13 inch across monster. My maroon clown and I are very sad today :sad:

WWWD
10-18-2005, 04:02 AM
those powerheads are always sneaking up on stuff! i bet it even took off its special anemone proof foam cover to get the drop on it.

reeferaddict
10-18-2005, 05:07 AM
anemone proof foam cover? :eek: :mrgreen:

Funky_Fish14
10-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss Jason!

I do hope things turn out better in the future!

Take care,

Chris

Edmonton Eskimo
10-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Thanks Chris. I'm not sure what to think about the first post as I think it might have been a little smart #$%ed.

OCDP
10-18-2005, 03:22 PM
What is with the rude comments? WWWD, your attitude is almost the same in every post to each person on the board. Just something I've noticed.

Really sorry to hear about the loss... must be tough. Hopefully you can find another sebae to replace him.

Scott

Saltysteve
10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure the above comment was meant to be taken as rude. More educational with a twist of humor, would be my take. It was quite funny!
There are measures we can take so this does not happen. Too bad we all don't know everything when we need to know it :D

OCDP
10-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I disagree... I am not trying to or wanting to start an argument.. but in quite a few posts I have read by that person there is always attitude or sarcasm, or whatever it may be... in other words, there is no need for the attitude.. how hard is it to say "maybe you should consider putting up foam guards on your powerhead so this doesn't happen again" ...

muck
10-18-2005, 03:49 PM
"My anemone just got mulched by my powerhead.. :sad: "

This comes up time and time again. Im not sure why people do not think to protect their livestock, especially anemones (that can move if they so desire) from them.

I have to agree with WWWD on this one. Its common sense stuff guys..

OCDP
10-18-2005, 03:53 PM
haha. No one was disagreeing, I completely agree as well. I guess it doesn't matter either way, I just think sarcasm can be left out! neither here or there.... Sorry for your loss eskimo.

geopod
10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Jason,

I feel for ya man I really do.I dont wanna hijack your thread.But evryone knows I am out of the country.I phone home one night and the wife say she is trying to get the anenome out of the power head.Well as she was pulling it out the other LTA got sucked up in another one.I wasnt there I couldnt help I told her to unplug the powerbar and she didnt know where it was.So I lost two that day.My clowns were divorced by then SO needless to say I will be buying another one when I get home and taking these two clowns to marriage counseling.

But someone mentioned putting foam on the powerhead.Does it work ?Has anyone tried it?

george

OCDP
10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your TWO losses, sheesh.. that's such a bummer.

As for the foam.. I have tried using foam (they make special guards for powerheads) I just used a cheap , cheap method for a couple weeks when my anemone was first introduced. I just took a normal ol' piece of foam, and zip tied it around the powerhead intake. The only downside to doing this is that it slightly reduces the powerhead flow... If the intake is covered completely the anemone cannot get stuck in it.

reeferaddict
10-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Yeesh! Pills people! Does anyone think anyone else wishes a dead anemone on any of us? :eek:

At times maybe some of us use ill-advised humour, but that doesn't mean we have to be crucified... I think the point here is that we've ALL had some minor or major disaster that could have been averted had we taken ALL the necessary precautions... my following post was simply in recognition of this, as I have 4 powerheads WITHOUT foam covers running... I'm sure as we speak one of my anemones is probably crawling towards one of those blenders.... :confused:

I think if I ever came home to a major crash I may have to pee in the tank to finish it off... if we can't find humour, then why are we here?

OCDP
10-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Ahh, it was never intended to be a bash on WWWD. But there IS a difference between humour and sarcasm... now this thread has gone off track.. but if it was a joke, he could have made a point of showing the humour in what he said. I bet the majority of people read the post as a saracastic comment. We definitely should have sense of humours, but we don't need the sarcasm is all I am saying.

Bob I
10-18-2005, 07:47 PM
This is not sarcastic, just instructional. You can get a filter foam for Maxijet powerheads. I found them to be expensive, but I still have a couple I don't use. :mrgreen: A good substitute is a filter foam for a small AC filter. All you do is cut a slit in one end, and slide it over the plastic doohickie Maxijets have in the box (usually) :biggrin:

Edmonton Eskimo
10-19-2005, 12:47 AM
First off I have had this anemone for a long time and it has been attached to the same rock since the first week that I had it so it never moved unless I moved the rock. I have never had foam on my powerheads and never had a problem as like I said my anemone never moved. What I think happened is the last couple days I haven't run my metal halides as I need to replace a part. My anemone had been stretching out more than usual to get a little more light from my pc's and one of his tentacles must have got sucked in and that is what caused his demise. I don't think humor or sarcasm was in order in this case as I was clearly upset in my original post. If I would have been joking about it then ya humor is welcome. I know it's a bad example but if someone dies in a car crash you wouldn't tell there family he should have worn a seatbelt would you? Let's try and use some tact is all I'm saying and thank you to everyone who responded to this post.