PDA

View Full Version : Slimey Purple stuff!

cal_in_calgary
10-18-2005, 02:44 AM
what is it? is it bad? how do i get rid of it? it is starting to grow everywhere.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is purple... kinda like the good stuff, only it is slimey and bubbly.

Ruth
10-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Sounds like cyno to me. Try to syphon out as much as you can, take the rocks out and scrub them, cut back on feeding. If you have sponges anywhere in your system make sure they are cleaned daily or just remove them for a while. As a last resort you can use chemi clean but if you don't know where the nutrients (ie overfeeding, sponges) are coming from it will just come back.

albert_dao
10-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Cyanobacteria, aka Red Slime Algae.

As far as getting rid of it goes, there's this stuff called RedX and another called Red Slime Remover by Ultralife that kills it almost overnight.

cal_in_calgary
10-18-2005, 03:36 AM
how is it going to affect the rest of my tank if i use this stuff?
it isnt growing on any rocks.... just on the sides of the tank and on the fluval intake tube.

KrazyKuch
10-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Thats cyano allright...I had a bought with it ahwile back I didn't use any chemicals so get ride of it though...I just did alot of water changes and fed less....

One of the major contributers to cyano outbreaks is you nitrate level and your alkalinty level is to low....once I corrected these to things my cyano dissappered and has never come back!!!