PDA

View Full Version : GFI receptacles

ron101
07-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Are GFI receptacles just a fancy version of a standard receptacle or something that requires additional wiring in addition to the swap?

Just wondering if I will be needing an electrician or not. :eek:

TIA

DJ88
07-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Fancy version.. that is all.

All you do is shut the power off to the outlet, remove the old one, place the wires from the old outlet into the holes marked LOAD on the GFCI. plut back in the wall and tuun back on.. basically. There is usually detailed instructions in the box with the GFCI.

I have done several.. Wall sockets tho. NOT breakers.

Bob I
07-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Just do what Darren says, making sure the power is off. If you need an electrician, I am available for free. All you need to do is send me a plane ticket, and I will be there. :D :D :D
Bob

reefburnaby
07-21-2002, 03:37 AM
Hi,

Actually, you are suppose to put the main feeder wires in the LINE side of the GFCI. The feeder wire is the wire that provides power to your outlet.
The Load side is for any circuits that are chained from this outlet and its power comes from your outlet. If a ground fault occurs on any outlet attached to the Load side, it will also be protected.

If you mix up the two, then the GFCI should still work...but it won't be as safe.

GFCI Installation Tips (http://www.hgtv.com/HGTV/project/0,1158,BDRE_project_7721,00.html)

- Victor.

[ 20 July 2002, 23:39: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]