PDA

View Full Version : Too much light

danny zubot
10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
My corals did fade a bit after upgrading to a 400 watt 10K bulb from a 250 watt 14K bulb. I slowly increased the photo period over 3 weeks until a full 12 hours was achieved. Its been over a month now and some of my corals are still looking a bit washed in color, is this normal? All levels are good, but my calcium is consistantly on the lower side; around 330ppm regardless of how much I buffer with kalk etc. (I suspect my test kit is bad)

StirCrazy
10-14-2005, 01:20 AM
My corals did fade a bit after upgrading to a 400 watt 10K bulb from a 250 watt 14K bulb. I slowly increased the photo period over 3 weeks until a full 12 hours was achieved. Its been over a month now and some of my corals are still looking a bit washed in color, is this normal? All levels are good, but my calcium is consistantly on the lower side; around 330ppm regardless of how much I buffer with kalk etc. (I suspect my test kit is bad)

do a Mg test and see if you have a proper level, your Ca problems are sounding like the effect of a low Mg level.

Steve

reeferaddict
10-14-2005, 01:46 AM
I found my calcium consumption skyrocketed after upgrading my lights, so you may have to adjust your dosing. First though, get a kit and be SURE of your levels... How is your alk? High alk, (13+ dKH), will precipitate Calcium causing low levels, as will Magnesium deficiency as Steve said... Read Beverly's links.... it's a wealth of info. Since I read and came to understand those I have had no problems identifying and correcting chemistry issues in my system, but I do know that increased photosynthesis is definitely going to affect calcification and therefore consumption levels as I have experienced that first hand.

As for fading I believe 14K bulbs will show colours better, while 10K will give better growth as a result of increased available lumens.

danny zubot
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
My last MG test was about 1220ppm, but its a Ca/MG test kit so it could be off too. Alk has been pretty constant at 2.5-3.5 Meq/L since changing to reef crystals a month ago.

Did your Ca consumption level off after a while when you upgraded your lights, or did it stay higher?

StirCrazy
10-14-2005, 03:02 PM
My last MG test was about 1220ppm, but its a Ca/MG test kit so it could be off too. Alk has been pretty constant at 2.5-3.5 Meq/L since changing to reef crystals a month ago.

Did your Ca consumption level off after a while when you upgraded your lights, or did it stay higher?

ok get some Mg raiser and bring your Mg up to 1400 over 2 days. also 13 alk is not bad at all as long as you have about 380 Ca it is actualy a very good balance.

Steve

danny zubot
10-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Ya, I've been slacking in the MG department lately. Due to my anemone mishap last night (other thread) I'll be doing a LARGE water change tonight, so that should help out a bit.