PDA

View Full Version : Switched to BB

Chad
10-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Ok,

So, I quickly moved everything into my new 50gal tank and started it as BB. I was then reading on reefcentral about possible chemisty issues since I no longer have a substrate. Have any of you BB people noticed and huge swings in your chemistry? Should I be changing my maintenance schedual? Ie: more water changes? adding Calcium? I have not tested since the change 1 week ago.

Currently there is no skimmer on it yet, since this was a rushed issue, was going away and needed the larger volume to handle the evap swings.

Any help would be appreciated.

christyf5
10-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I switched over to BB in May (I miss sand but my tank certainly seems better off without it). I didn't notice any changes for the first little bit but about a month later I noticed I had lower alkalinity. I use a calcium reactor so I just fiddled with it until the alk was where I wanted it and the ca balanced out.

Christy :)

Saltysteve
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Get a skimmer on it right away and increase flow to suspend particulate for the skimmer to remove. I have two large power heads in the back corners of my tank driving detritus to front center. I also have two large power heads top corners to keep flow. BB systems need good flow and above average skimming to work well.

Best thing I have done to date, removal of SSB!
I too have experienced fluctuations in ALK.....

Chad
10-13-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a tunze on it right now, lots of flow, crappy aquascaping tho cause I just threw it all in, so its just a big pile of rocks.

I have a huge skimmer ready but its an in sump skimmer and I have not completed the plumbing etc.

Purhaps I will look into one of those cheapo coralife super skimmers..

Thanks for the help!! I will check my Alk when I get home and see what it is doing.

Saltysteve
10-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I would recommend the larger of the Super Skimmers. I am running the 65 model myself right now and I had to make a few changes on it (leaking)
Great units nonetheless. The rock work, well I keep changing mine :)
Something I don't think I will ever be happy with!