PDA

View Full Version : Weird Observation!! Please advise

OCDP
10-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Okay so I posted a while back regarding my pulsing xenia not pulsing.

Well.. the past week and a half or so (ish) I have noticed this... in the morning in particular , when my lights are off, (haven't checked this at night because I usually hit the sack soon after lights out) .. but in the morning my pulsing xenia pulses sooo nicely... it looks awesome.. but it seems during the day say when I get home from work, they are just open but not pulsing...

Now I am guessing this could be a pH issue? or something chemistry related (blaahh) .. just thought it was a weird, yet cool observation... also, just to note. I turn my Seio 620 off at night, but the placement of my xenia is pretty low flow ...

Any input would be great.. thanks

Bob I
10-12-2005, 04:11 PM
No to your question, Xenia pulses when it wants to pulse. That is basically it. I have a xenia that never pulsed before, but we looked at it the other day, and lo and behold it was pulsing. Pulsing is a largely misunderstood phenomenon.

muck
10-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I must have gotten a good strain then as mine pulses all the time.. :cool:

OCDP
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
weird.. I just find it a little odd that they pule when lights are out.. and dont pulse when lights are on... ! hmm, one of those things I guess

Bob I
10-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes indeed, Xenia is weird and wonderful stuff. I have read that in the early days of reefkeeping Xenia was highly prized. Something like today's SPS craze. :eek: Nowadays you are almost looked down on if you have Xenia. :rolleyes:

OCDP
10-12-2005, 04:39 PM
haha, I love xenia, well... when it pulses I love it haha... it's just really amazing , and looks so full of life. I wish it pulsed all the time but oh well... it is a fast grower which is nice, but also has it's disadvantages I am sure.

I don't think I can afford to get into the SPS craze haha... too much money.. and if the smallest problem is to occur.. your prized corals are so easily damaged. I am happy with my wee frags :biggrin:

Bob I
10-12-2005, 04:48 PM
I wish it pulsed all the time but oh well... it is a fast grower which is nice, but also has it's disadvantages I am sure.

Yes indeed, it can reach plague proportions. Just ask Tony about that. He had so much of the stuff that he was willing to drive across the city to bring me my first coral. :eek:

OCDP
10-12-2005, 05:01 PM
lol ! That's funny... so wow, quick grower indeed. And in a 20g I'll need to really keep on top of it. I do think on the other hand, that a nice big patch of xenia (especially if its pulsing) would look really nice... but once it gets out of hand then get ready for frags! hahah

Bob I
10-12-2005, 06:11 PM
I recall Tony's 20 gallon tank was polluted with it. It grew everywhere, including tank walls, filter spray bars etc.

You don't have to worry about having too much, as one of our locals likes to feed it to her butterfly fish. :eek:

OCDP
10-12-2005, 06:39 PM
heh, I think I know who you're referring to.....