PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on calc reac. and uv ster.

geopod
10-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Has anyone tried the turbo twist UV sterilizer?Is it any good?
I am looking for a UV sterilizer and a Calcium Reactor.Any reccomendations on which brands to buy for a 90gal tank?

george

Ruth
10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I can't comment on the UV but I am running a Precision Marine 622 on my 230 and am happy with it. I am going to be running a Grotech on my 190 and am interested to see how it works. It has a "degassing" chamber to further remove any stray CO2 that might be present.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-12-2005, 11:25 AM
The UV sterilizer that has worked best for me is a Lifeguard 40w. I have the 18w Turbotwist but it doesn't seem nearly as efficient. Best for a smaller tank (50g vs 100g with 40w) Bigger is better :biggrin: Slow flow is also good to give the UV light more kill time. I use Kent's Liquid Reactor so I can't comment on Calc Reactors.

Anthony

TAZ
10-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I used to have the Turbo Twist on my system, and was happy with it for the longest time. However, about 9 months in I started to have problems with it. One day I noticed the bulb was out, I thought it was just dead but when I opened it up it was full of water as the seal around the bulb had failed. I got new seals, but a couple months later it happened again. In doing further research I have found out that this is a common occurrence with these units, so because of this I no longer use one. I did write to the manufacture to complain about this, and they were great about sending me a brand new unit. It is currently sitting in my closet, as I really am not sure if I want to go through all this again.

geopod
10-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Did you change you r brand?Or you not using one now?

geo

TAZ
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
No longer using one. Still on the fence if I am going to hook it back up

Now I am not sure if they are related, but when the UV was on my system I never had an issue with Algae. Since it has been removed, I am now in the middle of a Hair Algae battle. It could have been a coincidence that this is happening right now, and maybe something else cause the Algae. Does anyone know if a UV system could in anyway help control Algae outbreaks??

geopod
10-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Taz,

From what I read already the UV Sterilizer a helper to the waterborn Algae as well as bacteria,protozoa,and fungae.

george

SJSobczyk
10-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know if a UV system could in anyway help control Algae outbreaks??

I, in no way, could answer this in any scentific terms. But i know that from my personal use it has completely destroyed all of my hair algea. I had algea really bad in my 75 gallon, i tried everything from scrubbing the rocks, to frequent water changes with purified water, etc. Nothing worked. So i figured, what the hell can i lose? I spent $180 on a brand new Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x sterilizer. About a day after installation i noticed how clear my water looked, totally different tank. Then about a week later i noticed my hair algea dying off. And now, completely hair algea free.

This is only my 2 cents but it has greatly helped me in some tank maintenance, plus it has kept my inhabitants disease free!

Good luck

Steve

TAZ
10-12-2005, 08:11 PM
humm...I think I am going to do a little experiment. I am going to take a pic of my tank this weekend with the current Algae decor I have :biggrin:

I am then going to hookup my UV Sterilizer and track the progress for the next couple weeks. I will follow the same maintenance routine I have been doing, and see if adding the UV has an effect.

rayyue
10-14-2005, 08:16 AM
turbo twist uv is no good
rainbow lifeguard is better
aqua is the best but expensive