PDA

View Full Version : sps browning out

adidas
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
seems like all my sps has browned out, any tips on how to get the color back? i'm going to try reducing my photoperiod a bit, to see if that helps. i'm running a 250w MH.

muck
10-11-2005, 08:43 PM
most likely water quality.
check your params and let us know.

WWWD
10-11-2005, 08:49 PM
maybe your lion pooped on them all?

muck
10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
:rofl:

StirCrazy
10-11-2005, 09:57 PM
whats your Ca and Alk levels?

Steve

adidas
10-11-2005, 10:29 PM
whats your Ca and Alk levels?

Steve

i will check, i gotta pick up an alk test kit.

adidas
10-11-2005, 10:46 PM
maybe your lion pooped on them all?

ya, thats it! lol thanks canreef, my problems are solved!

reeferaddict
10-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Ooooh.... keeping SPS without kits.... hold out your hand! Low ca and alk will give slow growth and sometimes RTN if it's chronically low or changed too rapidly... changing a lighting regiment or spectral output usually is the culprit when they lose colour...

It has nothing to do with the Lionfish... :mrgreen:

adidas
10-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Ooooh.... keeping SPS without kits.... hold out your hand! Low ca and alk will give slow growth and sometimes RTN if it's chronically low or changed too rapidly... changing a lighting regiment or spectral output usually is the culprit when they lose colour...

It has nothing to do with the Lionfish... :mrgreen:

i have eevery test kit except alk, last i checked everything including ca was fine. Ca was just over 400.

Delphinus
10-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Definitely need to test both. Actually, if anything, if you're going to test just one of Ca or Alk, test Alk. A high or healthy Ca value means nothing if there's no correspondingly balanced Alk value. If you want to think of Ca as the quantification of "how many building blocks are there available to use", then Alk is the quantification of "how much ability do things have to make use of those building blocks." I.e., it doesn't matter much if you have all the lumber sitting in a pile next to you, without tools of any kind, you're not going to build much of a house.

However, as far as colour of SPS goes, it is usually a question of lighting and nutrient levels in addition to good Ca/Alk values.

Bob I
10-11-2005, 11:41 PM
However, as far as colour of SPS goes, it is usually a question of lighting and nutrient levels in addition to good Ca/Alk values.

I am not an SPS fan, but I have read (and can't remember the source) that High nutrient levels, and inadequate light cause browning of SPS corals. It is not that they are unhealthy just that they lack the colours we all like so much. :mrgreen:

adidas
10-11-2005, 11:48 PM
thanks guys,

well lighting isnt a problem, however alk i bet isnt right.. nutrient, well i have a hang on fuge, but i do think i had a bit of nitrates last i checked, i've never had nitrates at absolute zero. i'm buying an alk kit tonight. will post results.

reeferaddict
10-12-2005, 07:55 AM
You know... some time my sarcasm may get me in hot water.... just to qualify the hand slap...

I think the only mistakes I haven't made in this hobby are the ones I have yet to make... :mrgreen: I think in the first year I had my first reef I checked the alk maybe 4 times... :redface: now I check a minimum of twice a week, and only then when I have dialed in the dosing... then after which I usually go buy something else that screws up the consumption level anyways... *SIGH*... so I guess until I get the tank crammed full I'll always be checking 4 or 5 times a week and adjusting my dosing... :cry:

As far as nitrates go, don't really fret unless they're over 20 ppm... It's becoming a more popular notion these days that a few nitrates may actually be beneficial to corals... I must be very fortunate in this regard, as I feed my system like crazy and can't get a reading... mind you I have a 1 1/2" decorative sand bed in the 135, 3" in the 72, 4" aragonite in the 25g refugium and 5" in about 2/3 of a 55g sump along with 250 or so pounds of live rock and a Bullet 2 skimmer. Get this, I even have... I know I'm going to hear it.... *GASP* BIOBALLS as a return diffuser in my sump... If they become a nitrate factory I will remove them... but so far nothing... *holds hand out* :mrgreen:

adidas
10-12-2005, 08:50 AM
well i went to petland to pick up an alk test kit and they didnt have it! so i guess i'll go tomorow to big al's or petsmart.

corals have improved this week as i finally hooked up an auto top-off... before the level was up and down constantly.

Invigor
10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
BIOBALLS as a return diffuser in my sump... If they become a nitrate factory I will remove them... but so far nothing...

:eek: *SLAP*

hehe just kidding, I was actually going to do the same thing in my losing battle against microbubbles :mad:

OCDP
10-12-2005, 02:54 PM
I would just go to Big Al's for a decent quality ALK kit . Petland, Petsmart, etc.. don't usually carry alk test kits at all, and if they do.. it will be a Hagen like I am using.. and I am goign to get rid of that one soon... I am doubting it's accuracy.

rickjames
10-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I would just go to Big Al's for a decent quality ALK kit . Petland, Petsmart, etc.. don't usually carry alk test kits at all, and if they do.. it will be a Hagen like I am using.. and I am goign to get rid of that one soon... I am doubting it's accuracy.

Get salifert, they are the best. I also like the seachem test kits, have never seen an ALK kit from them but I'm sure they make one.

OCDP
10-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Salifert isn't available to us locally .. well I only know of one place, but refuse to go there. Otherwise.. you have to order Salifert online.. which IMO is a pain, and would rather settle for something second best, etc...

Delphinus
10-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Salifert is worth getting, IMHO.

rickjames
10-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Salifert is worth getting, IMHO.

definitely.... save the hagen for measuring stuff you usually don't have in your tank, NH4, N02, etc, but for monitoring levels like Ca, Mg, Alk, i wouldn't trust anything but the best test kits. JMO. :mrgreen:

OCDP
10-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I completely agree... it's just so darn pricey, especially when you go online.. I mean your looking at 100+ just for a couple of test kits!! :eek:

So this brings to me a new question... if we're to be using the best of the best to test for ca and alk, shouldn't we be dosing with the best of the best (whatever that may be)... in your opinions what is the best to be dosing for the two?

Maybe if there is a dry good group order soon I can get a couple from J&L ... hmm :question:

reefburnaby
10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi,

Do you know what kind of 250W MH are you using? 10K? 14K? How old are they? SPS colouring is also dependent on the temperature of your lamps.

IMHO, the Alk test from Hagen is alright. Its not wonky like their calcium and nitrate (according to Hagen...I have 0 nitrates....but I also have a calcium level of 700ppm :eek: ) As long as you are not demanding the absolute accuracy and you just want to know if you are in the right ball park, its okay. Its probably one of the few test kits that kinda work properly from Hagen.

Good luck.

- Victor.

Ruth
10-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Your other option might be to take a water sample to a LFS and have them test for you.
I would look to testing for nitrates and like mentioned ALK and CA and MG

monza
10-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Adidas get the Salifert. Wai's has them yes they might be a dollar or two more but support your local store that supports you be getting these products.

Dave

If it works out and you don't have a test kit in the next few days I could do a drive by and test. I owe you frags but if your browning out you still have to wait... again.

StirCrazy
10-14-2005, 03:00 PM
check your Alk, I find my SPS color fades when your alk drops. also as far as nutrents, less is more from my experence. when upgrading light you might get some fading but they will recover if everything else is good.

Steve