PDA

View Full Version : Ashore!

Johnny Reefer
10-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey fellow CanReefers!
How's it goin'!

Maybe this is a silly and unnecessary post, but regardless, I feel the need to extend a preliminary explanation.

When I joined this message board last May, some of you may recall that I mentioned my job takes me away from home on a 4 week in/ 4 week out rotation.
(I work for the Coast Guard, on the ships. No harm in revealing that, I suppose.)
[Note to Christy, if your reading this: This is how I am aware of PBS Nanaimo. I've worked out in the field with many PBS people. Beamish, Saunders, Boutillier, Anton, Ford, Lessard? (Did I get that right? Abalone.) To name a few.]

Anyhoo....I am most pleased to announce that I have secured a shore based assignment here at our Victoria Base.
It is for two years and, although I will still be on a 4 week on/ 4 week off rotation, (working 12 hours/day during the on cycle), I will be home for 2 years!!!! :biggrin: (Unless I go to Hawaii, or something, on an off cycle for some snorkeling. :wink:).

One of the benefits of being home, obviously, is that I will now be able to become involved with CanReef and the Reefing Community on a more consistent basis, which I am really looking forward to. :biggrin: (Not to mention just being home with my Reef Tank and continue to learn on a steady basis, is a big plus. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:).

So essentially, the point of this post is just to explain, in advance, why it is that you'll be seeing more consistent participation from JR. (Isn't that silly?) :rolleyes:

Now I can hardly wait to get my tank drilled and get that sump goin' again!:biggrin:
Be on the lookout in November for a Truck & Tank Move Recruitment post, (if I may be so bold as to borrow a line from Brad).

Oh. One other thing....
When's the next Island Get Together?:biggrin:

Cheers and happy reefing :biggrin:,

StirCrazy
10-11-2005, 02:54 PM
hey, how does this coast guard thing work with the 4 on 4 off? I am due to retire from the navy in 4 years and I am starting to look at other jobs now.

Steve

christyf5
10-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Congrats Mark! Land ho!

Looks like you're hosting the next meeting :razz:

Johnny Reefer
10-11-2005, 05:56 PM
hey, how does this coast guard thing work with the 4 on 4 off? I am due to retire from the navy in 4 years and I am starting to look at other jobs now.

Steve

Basically, during the 4 week on cycle we work 12 hours a day, including weekends. It's called the LayDay system. So the extra hours, over and above 8 hours Monday to Friday (the Conventional system) is how we earn the 4 weeks off, with pay.

The Lifeboat Stations are slightly different. They are 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off. Again, weekends included.
They work 8 hour days, but because they are Primary Search and Rescue they are on "Standby" for the other 16 hours/day. It's been a long time since I worked at a Lifeboat Station but I think the standby rate is 1/3 of an hour pay for each hour standby. Something like that. So 16x1/3=5.33.
8+5.33=13.33 hours/day (approx.) This system is called the Averaging System. Again, similar to the LayDay system in that the extra hours earned over and above the normal 8, and the hours earned on weekends, carries the employee through with a regular paycheque right through their time off.

On top of that, we are entitled to Annual Leave (aka Holiday Pay as some people might know it), by law.
As well, an employee can "Bank" (into a leave bank) OT and Stats , if they wish, and use that as leave, too.
So, it's very common to take at least one "trip" off each year, which means having 12 weeks off. Straight. With pay.
Sometimes, if one has enough leave and it's approved, they could take two or three "trips" off in a year, and still receive a steady paycheque. :eek: (It's common to do this to go to school for a Navigation or Engineering certificate).

Of course, the more trips one takes off, the less leave they are earning, (and are actually burning leave), so taking alot of trips off would eventually catch up to you and you'd have to work towards building up your banks again.

The only downer is that when it is time to go to work, it's just that. You have to go. Away. From home. Some of the Lifeboat people live where they work, but for ship crews that's different.

But, if you are Navy, 4 weeks oughta be a walk in the park! :razz:

Cheers,

Johnny Reefer
10-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Looks like you're hosting the next meeting :razz:

Ummmm, ya....okay. I'll think about that.
I have a small apartment and 4 big tanks on the go in the living areas.
Not to make excuses but there's kind of a space as well as a weight to floor ratio issue there.
The point being that I couldn't host lots of people, but 5 or 6 would probably work.

No time now. Start the shore job in two weeks.
Maybe in early December after I get the tank drilled.
But then, late January could be good, too, 'cause then I'd have more stuff to show off.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.

"The wheels are in motion".
Thanx for the push.
:smile:

Cheers,