PDA

View Full Version : Mithrax eating acro!

WWWD
10-11-2005, 05:54 AM
so i have this fairly large purple mithrax crab that hitched in on some corals a while back. i am not entirly thrilled about having him but he has never caused much damage before. tonight i busted him with a pretty good sized hunk of blue tipped acro in his claw munching away on it. has anyone else ever had an issue with this kinda thing before. damn im ****ed off. i really don't want to empty my reef out to get this guy out.

littlesilvermax
10-11-2005, 06:11 AM
I have literally busted apart big corals killing a couple of acro eating crabs. I don't have any crabs in my reef anymore.

Jason McK
10-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Not Good, Not Good at all.

Some times peaceful crabs can go bad once they reach a certain size.

Let me know if you need help getting him out. Boy I feel bad.

The Crab came from my tank

Jason

WWWD
10-11-2005, 04:07 PM
haha. so did the blue tip acro.

fakename
10-12-2005, 03:34 AM
I say spear fish for him!! get a long fondu fork and either wait for him to come out, or lure him out and then spear down onto his shell.......fondu forks are barbed so once he's on he's your's.....
I sat up nights with a flashlight to kill off a few nasties in my tank......
I know killing things kind of goes against the whole ideology of reef-keeping, but hey....you do what you have to do!

WWWD
10-12-2005, 03:40 AM
dude i have no problem fondu spearing the crap outa this crab. thanks for the idea.

Ruth
10-12-2005, 03:57 AM
Crabs are quick! I tried the fondue fork idea and after I finished soaking myself and getting salt water in my eyes - that really smarts with contacts in - I tried the metal shish-kabob thingy. I managed to spear frogspawn coral and just about got my lawnmower blenny. The crab is still in my tank.