PDA

View Full Version : Bored already soooo.....

DJ88
06-11-2002, 01:52 AM
I had to make something. :D

I saw a small beckett skimmer made by someone here intown that didn't have a beckett on it and required a much smaller pump to drive it. I took a peek at it and made this little thingy(look below). I want to see if I can run this with a lower GPH pump and get the same performance. Basically it is a spray injection.

Imagine standing in the shower. you know how the curtain pulls in as the water spray moves past the curtain? This is due to the air moving with the spray. Creates a lower pressure zone next to the curtain in comparison to the outside of the shower. Thus curtain moves into the shower as the higher pressure outside of hte curtain tries to fill the lower pressure zone inside the shower itself.

In this case instead of the curtain being pulled in, air is. Micro bubbles are created as the fine spray of water mixes with the air and the water that will build up in the bottom of the injector. We will see in a couple of days. Want to let everything dry solidly before adding water under pressure. :D

http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/injector1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/injector2.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/injector3.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/injector4.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/dj88/pix/injector5.jpg

CHEAPREEF
06-11-2002, 02:17 AM
Very interesting, let me know how it works. I've been contemplating making a different skimmer this looks pretty easy. What did you use for strainer part?

Clinton

DJ88
06-11-2002, 03:12 AM
I took a round disk of acrylic nad drilled a bunch of 1/16th holes in it. :D

Everything I used was extra parts I had laying around. So I know I could make it with less junk n stuff but was bored and international pastics closes at 4:30. :D

Parts I used were:

2" Male slip by female slip 90.
2" slip to 1" FPT T.
2" slip end cap.
1 1/2" MPT to 1" FPT threaded reducer.
1 1/2" MPT by 1 1/2" slip.
1 1/2" FPT by 1 1/2" slip fitting.
1" MPT to 1/2" FPT fitting.
1/2" Spears ball valve.
3" piece of 1 1/2" sched 40 PVC.
6" piece of 2" acrylic tubing.
8" piece 3" acrylic tubing.
Small disk of acrylic sheet drilled with 1/16th holes for a nozzle.

StirCrazy
06-11-2002, 10:26 AM
If your so board why don't you come finnish my plumbing for me :D :D

Steve

reefburnaby
06-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Hi,

Looks nice...ever think of being a professional plumber ? They pay pretty good.

Spray injection...I think the only drawback is that they are a bit more noiser.

- Victor.

DJ88
06-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Victor,

That was dry assembled. :D The acrylic doesn't look as nice now. :D

And have you ever heard a beckett at full scream? They aren't quiet.. lol

Steve,

Hmm me doing more plumbing..lemme see.. Nope.. :D Done enough tank plumbing. lol

CHEAPREEF
06-11-2002, 03:42 PM
Darren, about what size tank would that nossle rated for? A rough guess, seems a little big but might just be in my head tongue.gif . What size pump do you think would be a good match? I think i'm going to build one if i can match one to my 75gal.

Clinton

DJ88
06-12-2002, 11:16 PM
Cheapreef,

You could use it pretty much on any tank IMO. THE injector that is. I'll be running it on a 45 gallon tank. The bullet3 on the other hand is a bit of an overkill. :D

titus
06-13-2002, 03:48 PM
Hello Darren,

Man, Troy is right about you. :D

And have you ever heard a beckett at full scream? They aren't quiet.. lol <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My counter to this is have you heard Troy's Canreef CS-2 with the Beckett and full scream?

Titus

DJ88
06-13-2002, 03:58 PM
With the muffler line removed it makes as much niose as my bullet3. With the muffler on my bullet it is jsut as quiet as your skimmer. ;) :D hee hee

and yes I have too much time on my hands.

titus
06-13-2002, 09:36 PM
Hello,

Next time, put the silencer on the Bullet-3, listen to it. Then grab the bullet with you fist, and compare the difference in sound reduction.

Doug
06-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Darren, I am following this close. Looking at a larger skimmer. My Euroreef likely wont keep up with 359 gals.

Was thinking of having Jayson build me a large Beckett. Cant build a sump divider myself. :D

Dont be telling me how noisy they are. Not what I need. Once Marc,s pump, replaces my 3MD, I have a pretty quiet system for a 180, 170 and large sump, in the same room. smile.gif

I also was interested in driving the beckett with my 3MD. So your idea looks interesting. How big is that bullet. I dont see it on your page.

DJ88
06-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Doug I run a bullet 3.

I did make some mistakes with the design. I made the holes for the "showerhead" too big. I am going to make another one which I can take apart and start small with the number and size of the holes.

It was absolutely silent. I had my ear right next to the air intake and I could barely hear it. As an FYI.

Becketts can't compete for quietness with this thing. Honest. I have heard PM's, and DIY becketts. Nothing is as quiet as this.

stephane
06-19-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Doug:

I also was interested in driving the beckett with my 3MD. So your idea looks interesting. How big is that bullet. I dont see it on your page.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes Doug the Becket made a lot of noice witout silencer the amount of air suck in the 1/4 inch tube is immence so it made noise

As for the 3 MD I try mine and it made half the foam of my mag 18 even my old 5 md was not enought those becket run great but need WATER to do it

In fact the 5 md who is a pressure rated pump but dont have a big flow was even worst than the 3mdqxsc who is a non pressure pump.

IMO you are going to be disapoint by a becket run
on a litle giant