PDA

View Full Version : Coralife 3/4 watt moonlight

Bob I
10-10-2005, 05:25 PM
This is the little light you can clip onto your Aqualight fixture. I have found this to be somewhat useless. It might be fine if one was to use a number of them, but a $35.00 that would be a bit costly. The actual light output is very dim. The two one watt moonlights in my Aqualight Pro are far brighter in comparison.
I was just at Big Al's, and noted they have a one watt light by Coralife. However, it was $49.95 and know no more. I have not seen it lit up.

Joe Reefer
10-11-2005, 02:23 PM
I agree with Bob, you would have to use at least 3 maybe 4 of them on a 4 foot tank. And still have a dull glow over the tank.

Gizmo
10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
I prefer to use a cold cathode tube to moonlight my tank, relatively inexpensive, and they can tap off the 12v I'm using for my canopy fans.

http://www.startech.com/ProductPhotos/LEDTUBEBL.small.jpg
http://www.startech.com/ProductPhotos/CCTUBEBL.small.jpg
http://www.startech.com/ProductPhotos/BUBLTUBEBL.small.jpg

psuedo
10-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I had 4 of them over my 48 gallon tank and I found them to look pretty good. I don't know how well they would penetrate to greater depths, but they worked just fine for 18 inches.

There is no written proof that they help out any fish in your aquarium with the exception of some fishes mating rituals, but they were laying eggs in tanks long before this product came out.

I believe this product is only for esthestic purposes only, and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. In this case it is the opinion of every owner.

Bottom line is I liked this product over my tank, but I am not using moonlights for my new setup because I think the fish and corals need a rest from any sort of light for a certain period.

BTW. this is my opinion and not the opinion of others. It is not meant to spark a huge debate.

Bob I
10-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I had 4 of them over my 48 gallon tank and I found them to look pretty good. I don't know how well they would penetrate to greater depths, but they worked just fine for 18 inches.

There is no written proof that they help out any fish in your aquarium with the exception of some fishes mating rituals, but they were laying eggs in tanks long before this product came out.

I believe this product is only for esthestic purposes only, and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. In this case it is the opinion of every owner.

Bottom line is I liked this product over my tank, but I am not using moonlights for my new setup because I think the fish and corals need a rest from any sort of light for a certain period.

BTW. this is my opinion and not the opinion of others. It is not meant to spark a huge debate.

You are right of course. I don't think there is any need for moonlight at all. I would think that if sunlight has difficulty in penetrating water for any depth, the moonlight would penetrate even less.

I use the one watt lights in my fixture for only a short perod at night. This is because of the astonishing colours it brings out in my zoanthids.

The reason I published the review is that I found the Coralife 3/4 watt light to be useless because it is so dim. :rolleyes:

kens1
10-14-2005, 12:08 AM
I have the one watt coralife on my 30 gallon cube and it lights it up quite nicely. I had purchased the 6 light (6 X 3/4 watt) tube moonlight from project X to see if I would like more brightness but it turns out the coralife lights my tank much better. I think it being a 1 watt light plus the reflector really helps.