PDA

View Full Version : setting up a 150 bowfront from a 72 bowfront

Mike Olson
10-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Hello. I am finally able to get a larger tank :biggrin: My 72 gal. has been up and runnig for approx. 1 year. I have had a few issues with nitrates the past 3-4 mos. although everything is growing like mad.(nitrates hover around 10-20) I am not planning on using any of my water from the 72, I am setting the 150 up in a different location too which should help transferring over the livestock, rock and corals. My big question mark has to do with the existing 4-6" sandbed I have in my 72. I want to have some saltwater in a bucket to clean it a little when I transfer over...I am worried that if I transfer over before I remove my rock/corals etc. I might hurt the latter with what might be relesed from disturbing the sand bed. This is the first time I have ever switched from tank to tank and I was hoping someone out there might be able to enlighten me! :eek:

vanreefer
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Mike,

If I were you I would buy new sand for the 150... stiring up the sand in the 72 could be fatal for your corals and it will take more than a litte water to clean a years worth of crap from the sandbed.... I removed my 1 year old sand bed a while ago when I had the tank broken down, and made the mistake of leaving the 2" sandbed in 2" of stagnant water overnight... lets just say my room mate was less than impressed with the odour permiating the entire house for the price of new sand vs the price of new livestock I say replace it and start again with that sweet virgin sand look :cool: or go BB like I did

Dan

christyf5
10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
moved to Reef forum

Bob I
10-10-2005, 05:20 PM
I would be inclined to move the sandbed, as I have done that a number of times when I changed tanks. My experiences have been completely free of problems. :mrgreen:

geopod
10-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey Dan,

What is it with the BB thing?I hear lots of people doing it.Is there something I am missing?Have any pics of it?

george

reeferaddict
10-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey Mike...

I'm speaking from experience here, and have the pics to prove it... I just did a 90-135 upgrade in June... Just move the whole sandbed over... don't bother cleaning it, save yourself the cycling time. It will contain all the good critters we all want in our tanks. I would also use your water, and over the period of a few days do some water changes on the 72, putting the "wastewater" in the big tank. Your nitrates aren't a problem, anything under 40ppm is doing just fine. As for BB... people say it works better for algae control, and you can get more flow in your tank, but I have over 7000 gph of flow in my 135 and personally I like the diversity of critters that a sandbed offers along with the natural look... :biggrin:

Beverly
10-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Do a search on BB or bare bottom. Lots of posts on the subject.

Have three tanks that we converted to BB last year. Would never go back. Here's my page on maintaining BB tanks. Lots of pics and waaaaaay too much to read (sorry about that :redface: ) ....

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/reeftips-maintainbarebottomtanks.htm

Mike Olson
10-11-2005, 04:46 AM
I have thought of the BB approach, I like the idea of flow not affecting sand, and they actually look good when the coraline sets in...but...I like the sand look and all the different fish, critters etc. that it brings. I am thinking about going with only 2-3 inches deep this time(with arag. select or arag alive) Even though I am excited that I am getting a larger tank, its a little depressing having to take down the 72 just as it has hit that nice 1 yr mark :sad: I think I might use some of the existing sand since it is full of life, Ill try find a middle ground between taking it out, and not killing anything...ahhh, the road to hell is paved with good intention :evil: :lol: :rolleyes: