PDA

View Full Version : final got my sump built

StirCrazy
06-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Well I went and bought some chunks of 1/4" clear acrylic so I could assemble my sump today, and after supper I got my a$$ in gear and did it.

I still have to clean up the excess silicon with a razor when it dries but here are some pics.

the 33gal tank to be used as a sump
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/sump/33gal.jpg

the planning phase
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/sump/baffeldesign.jpg

the only part I got to use acrylic glue on
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/sump/cornerbox.jpg

the corner box installed
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/sump/cornerboxin.jpg

the first set of baffels installed
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/sump/chamber1.jpg

and everything done.
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/sump/sumpdone.jpg

This was one of the biggest single items that had to be done before I put water in the tank so after this cures and I get it back under the stand I can finish off the plumbing and bring it to life.

Steve

CHEAPREEF
06-01-2002, 02:50 AM
Looks great, what size tank are you using? You must be a very patient man, mine was glued and under my stand the day after i bought it. :D

Clinton

StirCrazy
06-01-2002, 03:09 AM
hey Clinton, it was a 33 gal tank that I used to make the sump.

Steve

CHEAPREEF
06-01-2002, 04:03 AM
Cool, same deal as mine. But mines a 33 breeder (only 12" high) so i can get it under my really, really short stand.

Clinton

Chin_Lee
06-05-2002, 01:56 AM
Stircrazy
I'm also thinking about building a sump and I'm collecting ideas. Can you describe your set up, explain why you chose the set up and how the water is suppose to flow?

DJ88
06-05-2002, 02:00 AM
Looks good Steve.

Now how do you get those little wooden blocks out of the baffles? ;) Bet your hands don't fit in there.

StirCrazy
06-05-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by DJ88:
Looks good Steve.

Now how do you get those little wooden blocks out of the baffles? ;) Bet your hands don't fit in there.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chop sticks work wonders :D , I knew thoes trips to Japan would come in handy ;)

chin_lee
all my water to the sump enters in the corner box I made, it spills over this into the first chamber whare a magdrive 12 will suck water from the sump to the beckett skimmer and return back into the the corner box. (box acts as a primary bubble remover)

what doesent get sucked up for the skimmer goes throught the first set of baffles throught the middle chamber (I can use this for rock, or frags) then through the second set of baffles whare a mag drive 12 or 18 (havent decided yet) will suck it up to return it to the tank.

the corner box idea that all my returns will spill into was a sugestion from Darren. It made sence so I did it, the idea is that all the water dumping in to a area will have lots of bubbles, this first wall it has to pass over will remove a lot of bubbles right off the bat and my skimmer pump will suck water instead of a water/bubble mix.

clear as mud? smile.gif

Steve

BC_Grl
06-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Steve, I too am collecting ideas on how we should build our sump. We have a 33 gal for a sump, a Berlin Turbo hang-on for protein skimmer. My idea was to just one big area with live rock and sand. Why is it that you have separate chambers for the water to go through? Does it make the water more pure when it returns? I might even have a small plant in there as well- possibly for a refugium?
We are looking into getting our 90g tank drilled since we've heard that if we have an external overflow, we will get spillage...

Thanks for your help, JEanna :D

[ 08 June 2002, 09:21: Message edited by: BC_Grl ]

StirCrazy
06-08-2002, 02:10 PM
Hey Jeanna, the reason Ihave so many baffels and chambers is to get rid of bubbles befor it reaches the return pump, this way am not pummping a bunch of bubbles back into the main tank. I am going to be flowing about 1200 gal/hour through the 33 gal sump so with out the baffles my main tank would look like some one put a air stone in it. On mine the middle arrea is going to have rock only and maby some sand.. I haven't decided yet, as for a refugium I am putting a 20 gal ontop of the stand so I don't realy need it down below.

Steve

BC_Grl
06-16-2002, 11:50 PM
thanks Steve.. Hey, I went into your site. It seems to be all freshwater. Do you have a S/W site? Would you be posting your sump pics into that? :D

StirCrazy
06-16-2002, 11:58 PM
hehe, ya... when I transfered from @home to @shaw for some reason my whole site got screwed up.. the F/W is the only part that survived.. so I am rebuilding the whole thing and adding the S/W also..

Steve

canadawest
06-17-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by BC_Grl:
thanks Steve.. Hey, I went into your site. It seems to be all freshwater. Do you have a S/W site? Would you be posting your sump pics into that? :D <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The reason for that Jeanna is that Steve doesn't actually have a running s/w tank yet. tongue.gif

(Sorry Steve, even I thought that one couldn't be left alone, and had to beat Brad to it!)

StirCrazy
06-17-2002, 03:08 AM
ya but I did have a site with all the things I have built with pics and everything ;)
it is kinda a documentation of my building the reef tank.. the only thing that will be missing is the actual cost involved as I would probably be dead if that leaked out :D :D (Joke )

Steve

BC_Grl
06-17-2002, 11:35 PM
You DON'T have a S/W tank running yet??? :confused:
When do you think you will get one up and running? We haven't gotten ours running yet either...
Cheers,
Jeanna

BC_Grl
06-17-2002, 11:36 PM
Steve, are you going to the meeting?

Aquattro
06-17-2002, 11:45 PM
The reason for that Jeanna is that Steve doesn't actually have a running s/w tank yet. tongue.gif

(Sorry Steve, even I thought that one couldn't be left alone, and had to beat Brad to it!)[/QB]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, been working a lot of OT this week. Shoulda caught that one!! :D