PDA

View Full Version : guppy question

pandafishowner
10-10-2005, 06:57 AM
I have a 5g tank setup right now on my pc desk. It has a filter (bought from wal-mart, supposed to be good for 2-5g tanks (uses filter cartridge replacements). I had 3 guppies when I put in the filter. Overnight 2 guppies died. I netted them and flushed them. My remaining guppy has been alone for over a month. The other night at Big Al's, I bought 2 new guppies. One was a male guppie with orange and black coloring on its tail, black polka dots on it's body. The other was a blue diamond guppie, also male. I replaced the filter cartridge as they need to be changed every 2-4 weeks, and tonight while I was out, the orange/black guppy died. :confused: Any idea what's wrong? I did an amonia test, there is none. My pH is perfect, same with nitrates and nitrites. Could it just be the filter causing problems? It's the type where I can adjust the power of it. I've got it fairly slow, not super slow, but not fast. The type of filter is made by for Small World tanks. I do water changes when I notice the tank is getting a tad bit murky. Last night I did about a 10% change, about a week ago I'd done around a 30-40% water change.

Petcrazy
10-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Water changes I recommend on a regular basis, not when the tank is starting to look murky. After all things disolve in water, so when it gets to the point that you can see it..it's pretty darn bad.

I'd say a once a week water change would be nice, 10-15% but it depends on the fish of course. The optimal water changes depend on how your tank runs...only way to know is by testing. This isn't that hard since it's such a small tank, it takes me a couple minutes to do a water change on my 2.5 and 5 gallon. The fact they are near sinks is a bonus..the 2.5 being in the bathroom and the 5 gallon in the hallway just outside the kitchen.

Of course now your tank will test out nicely, you've done some pretty heavy maintenance recently. Usually test the water when there is a problem (or before to catch ahead of time)..of course I'm also thinking of the first two that died.

From a social point of view you may have some pretty sexually frustrated male guppies on your hands too LOL.

Aaaaanyways...

Temperature of the water is...what?

That and before you put guppies in the tank in the first place, how long did you leave the tank to cycle?

pandafishowner
10-10-2005, 06:08 PM
The tank was cycled for over a month without any fish before the first 3 guppies were put in. The temp is always around 78 degrees. It takes about 3 days for the water to start getting a bit murky, so water changes are at least once a week, usually 2 or 3 though. I'd get a female, but I don't want a lot of guppie babies on my hands, they multiply worse than rabbits :lol: Today the tests still show no amonia and all other levels are good. Darn guppies, supposed to be easy fish and I've had nothing but issues. lol

geopod
10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Is the original guppy still alive?When you change filter media do you rinse the new filter before adding it?Just a thought.

george

pandafishowner
10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
One of the original guppies is still alive yes. He's got a fancy fancy tail. The middle of it is short, but above and below it it's longer. I had another damn floater today. :mad: My diamond guy died, was stuck under a decoration, so I'm back to just the single original guppy. I cleaned the tank completely, kept about 30% of the water, replaced the rest with water from the RO machine. Every time I replace the filter cartridge, I rinse it til the carbon all comes out (when the water stops looking grey). Maybe this guppy I still have is a jealous guy and was killing the others? :neutral:

doublette
10-10-2005, 10:20 PM
The main reason I don't use the type of filter you are describing is because every time you put in a new filter pad, the tank basically goes through a whole new cycle again. By throwing away the filter pad you are throwing away the bacteria on it needed to convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. In my opinion that's the main problem you are having, unless of course your tank has a bio-wheel. Your substrate and any ornaments you have will have some bacteria on it as well, but in my experiences not enough to prevent another cycle. Is it possible to maybe change the type of filter you are using? Maybe something like a mini aquaclear? I think it would help. Just my opinions...

pandafishowner
10-10-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm not honestly sure an Aquaclear would fit on this tank :( I'll check Wal-Mart for the smallest other type filter I can find. Worst case scenario: I take out the filter completely, toss in an air stone only, and just do water changes every other day (which was working fine til I got the filter). Fish are such weird little creatures :)

Cap'n
10-11-2005, 08:00 AM
If your going the airstone route you could stick a bit of foam over the end and use that for your biological filter. That way you can change the carbon without starting a new cycle. I agree that is the problem, and I also agree that you should switch filters. On a 5g you can easily fit an aquaclear or similar. Go all out and get something with a biowheel, you won't be disappointed.

pandafishowner
10-13-2005, 01:46 AM
I went and got him 2 girlfriends. One red and black tailed, one orange and yellow tailed. I put the air stone in last night. So far the three of them are quite happy. The females were chasing after him. :lol:

pandafishowner
10-18-2005, 11:23 PM
ok, another question: i have what look like little particles in my tank now. i did a water change last night, about 30%, added back new water, and i still have these things. i've seen the guppies go after the things too. some look like little things that dart across the tank, while others look like little particles of dust?? know what they are? could it be because the filter needs to be changed again? i'm going to crack this filter cartridge open and leave a piece of it in my tank when i replace it.