PDA

View Full Version : Glass thickness for holes

Aquattro
06-07-2002, 05:30 AM
I'm going to plumb my 20g into my main system with an overflow and would like opinions on glass thickness...is the 1/8" OK or should I upgrade to 1/4" glass? Seastar recommends 1/4 if you're drilling a hole in it, but I question this advice. The hole will be in the top corner of the long side.

StirCrazy
06-07-2002, 10:47 AM
I would definatly want to go higher than 1/8 Brad, but 1/4 hmmm can you split the diff and go 3/8 ? how much of a price diff is there to increase the thickness of one side? shoulden't be much..

Steve

Aquattro
06-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Steve, price isn't a concern. I've taken the side out of my 20 and can either get that drilled or buy a thicker piece. The cost is a few bucks. I just think a lot of people with smaller tanks/refugiums didn't get thicker glass. I could be mistaken, so who else has a small drilled tank? Darren?

DJ88
06-07-2002, 01:18 PM
3/8ths was put on Brad. Sea Star did it. Cost like $5 or summtin like that. getting old and cant' rememebr the exact price. ;)

canadawest
06-07-2002, 06:54 PM
I had my little 10g drilled by a glass shop, and it's only 1/8".

The guys did say though that with glass that thin there's no guarantee it wont crack while being drilled, and they were pretty nervous during the procedure but it turned out great.

In hindsight the only thing I would have done different is drilled a 1" or bigger hole instead of the 3/4" hole I got.

Hole was done on the side pane near the top and centered left to right. (Overflow drain)

StirCrazy
06-08-2002, 12:39 AM
what seastar explained to me is that if it is on the end you can get away with it because it is more ridgid as it is a smaller chunk of glass, on the fron or back there will be more tendency to bow from the water so if you want to have the water level high then you should make it thicker. That is why my 25 gal has thicker glass ont he side but the end of my 33 was left the same.

Steve

Aquattro
06-08-2002, 12:56 AM
YA, I said to hell with it and ordered a plumbed 20 from Seastar.

Silverfish
06-09-2002, 02:03 AM
I had Meighans 15g drilled on the back up high in the corner, and so far, so good.

It is a stock 15g seastar, 1" bulkhead.