PDA

View Full Version : mh won't fire

Edmonton Eskimo
10-08-2005, 07:21 PM
I have been having troubles getting my mh to fire up. I never had any problems until the last few days it sometimes takes an hour to finally fire up. Bulb is pretty new could it be the ignitor. Any suggestions welcome

StirCrazy
10-08-2005, 07:22 PM
we need a little more info, brand and type of ballast and brand and type of bulb would help.

Steve

Edmonton Eskimo
10-08-2005, 07:33 PM
The ballast is a sylvania 150 watt hqi and the bulb is a coralife 10000 k. I got this setup from des about 6 months ago

StirCrazy
10-08-2005, 10:26 PM
is the bulb single ended or double ended? I would start by making sure you have your parts wired corectly IE. ballast capacitor and ignightor. then I would double check all conections and make dure they are snug.

Steve

Edmonton Eskimo
10-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Yes it is de. I checked all connections already. Could the ignitor need replacing?

bnhreef
10-09-2005, 03:01 AM
I had problems with my MH this last spring.

The bulb was Hamilton 250w DE 14K. The bulb holders were made by PFO. What had happened was, when I seated the bulb, it took a fairly good push to get them in. In so doing, I ended up putting to much stress on the bulb contacts on each side. The wires coming out of the glass bulb are pinched into these metal contacts and I probably broke the micro spot weld (if there is one) thus causing the light to take a long time to fire. I replaced the light and this time I used a flathead screwdriver to pry the bulb holders on each side open a little and now the lights fire without any delay.

FYI I did see some tiny black arc marks in the electrode that extended onto the plaster thingymajig so there was arcing going on...check for this.

Take care.