PDA

View Full Version : OverDrive NO bulbs

Bryan
05-31-2002, 03:11 AM
I was wondering if I replaced the 2 x 20 watt ballast in my fluorescent fixture to a 2 x 40 watt ballast, would there be a big differenc in the output to the bulbs.

StirCrazy
05-31-2002, 09:42 PM
not realy, now if you replaced it with a 4x20watt ballast and doubled up the leads you would get more light

Steve

[ 31 May 2002, 17:42: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Bryan
06-01-2002, 04:18 AM
But wouldn't a 2x40 watt be the same as a doubled up 4x20 watt?

StirCrazy
06-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Not realy, basicly it is the amprage you need to increase, one wire on a NO ballast will only allow so much curent, by doubling the wires you allow more curent, which will overdrive your bulb. Mabe Victor can explain this better.

Steve

reefburnaby
06-02-2002, 02:16 AM
Hi,

2 footers driven by 4 footers -- well, that depends what kind of ballast you are using, but there are definitely problems with this method.

1) Strike Voltage. 4 foot ballasts provide a bigger spike that start its lamps. So, if you use the big spike with the little lamps, you get premature damage to the lamps. Ultimately, this means that you tubes won't last as long...1/2 as long as usual.

2) Electronic or Tar. If it is tar...better check if you have fire insurace on your house. Its not a hot idea to do that.

If it is an electronic ballast...better yet...a Fulham Workhorse, then you are in better shape.

Fluorescent lamps work by providing a small current through a mercury vapour tube with a special lining. The vapour causes the electric current or electrons to conduct through the tube. Every once in a while, an electron will hit the tube lining and it converted in to light. If we increase the current passing through the lamp, we increase the probability of an electron hitting the tube wall. That is basically what we are doing.

In practice, the lamp current is regulated by the ballast. In the case of an electronic ballast, the lamp current is fairly constant regardless of what tube/tube size/tube length is placed between the output of the ballast. This was done so that a single ballast could drive a variety of lamps (i.e. save development costs). If we take a electronic ballast that was design to drive two seperate lamps and combine the outputs, we will effectively double the current passing through a lamp. Due to losses and other things, we don't really get double. By increasing the lamp current....we get more light. We also get more heat too...this is a by product of the electron-light conversion.

If you want to do this, my recommendation is to get a Workhorse ballast (something like a WH5). WH5 can drive 3 lamps...maybe even 4 if the conditions are right. For example, if you wanted to drive one 2 foot lamp normally, you would use diagram 14. For a 2x overdrive, you would use diagram 10. For a dual 2x overdrive, you can try diagram 11.

The diagram number references and other info on Fulham are available at www.fulham.com (http://www.fulham.com)

Hope that helps. If you are not sure about things...ask questions or get a somebody to take a look at it.

- Victor.

[ 01 June 2002, 22:18: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

JoJo
06-02-2002, 02:33 AM
Hi Victor,

Question regarding overdriving lamps in series. The connection between the two lamps, should all 4 pins be connected all togehter or the 2 pins from 1 lamp to the 2 pins of the other lamp??? Thanks!!!

reefburnaby
06-02-2002, 04:18 AM
Hi,

It depends on the type of ballast you are using, but for Instant start ballasts (i.e. WH) then 4 wires tied together.

- Victor.

JoJo
06-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Thanks Victor,

Yes, I am using a WH 7.