PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor

JoJo
05-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi,

This might be a dumb question, has anyone thought of converting a canister filter such as a fluval or a magnum into a calcium reactor?? redface.gif

My understanding to the operation of a reactor is to have water circulating through the media within a sealed container, at the same time contineously drawing a small amount of water from the sump, injecting co2 enough to maintain a ph of 6.5 within the canister and return the calcium rich effluent back into the sump. :confused:

Well, I did a little experiment. I took the o/p of my magnum 330 and connected it to i/p to form the closed loop. I fired it up, very good circulation. The magnum comes with a insert in which carbon can be added. But instead, I would add the ARM media, install fittings for the sump i/p, the effluent return and the co2 injection and voila, a diy calcium reactor. :D Just one of my crazy ideas. Will appreciate any inputs!!

reefburnaby
05-30-2002, 10:41 PM
Hi,

Yupe, that would work and many reefers have done this before. I tried it with a Fluval (which was a bad choice)...but I retired the unit after I got my other reactor working.

You should be fine with your Magnum as a reactor.

I put a filter to protect the impeller from pumping too much fine/powder ARM around. The fine ARM can wear down the impeller and ultimately damage your canister.

- Victor.

JoJo
05-30-2002, 11:09 PM
Thanks Victor.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the reactor that you are running is converted from a water filter. If this is the case, I am more interested in building it. Any info on it will be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Bryan
05-30-2002, 11:51 PM
My first crack at a DIY calcium reactor was building one from a water purifier canister. the plans are on the web somewhere. I even used yeast and sugar water for the C02 production. Worked ok I guess, but would only recommend it for a small tank.

reefburnaby
05-31-2002, 01:40 AM
Hi,

I don't have any plans for the reactor. As Brian said, there are some plans on the net regarding this type of reactor (water filter reactor). If you can't find them, I can try to describe what I have.

Personally, if I had a magnum, I would have made that my reactor. But, I have a Fluval and they don't work too well when you intentionally inject gas bubbles in to the water stream -- one of many Fluval flaws. If you can get your hands on an Eheim...even better.

- Victor.

Bryan
05-31-2002, 02:47 AM
Water Canister Calcium Reactor Plans

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/careactors/waterfilter/

JoJo
05-31-2002, 03:01 AM
Thanks Guys!!!!!

JoJo
05-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Hey Victor,

For your water purifier diy reactor, what pump did you use???? Thanks!!!

reefburnaby
06-01-2002, 01:28 AM
Hi,

Maxijet 900 - I upgraded from a 400.

- Victor.

sea gnome
06-02-2002, 12:01 AM
Hi, I'm very interested in your idea, I have a magnum as well. Could you let me know how it turns out? Pictures would be nice as well. What size tank are you using it on??? Rachel

JoJo
06-02-2002, 01:08 AM
Hi Victor,

The MJ 900 you are using, is it been run as a external pump not submerged? Is this possible? I thought these powerheads needs to be submerged in water for them to work? The plan for a purifier type reactor suggest using a mag three. Thanks!!

JoJo
06-02-2002, 01:13 AM
Hi Rachel,

Sure I'll keep you posted. But I can't see myself starting on the project until I can get my hands on a co2 tank. Talk to you later!

reefburnaby
06-02-2002, 01:50 AM
Hi,

Unlike many other powerheads, the Maxijets have an O-ring seal around the impeller housing and the powerhead electromagnet. The o-ring prevents the powerhead from leaking and improves overall efficiency. It also allows the powerheat to operate in a non-submersed operation. Similar techniques are used on larger pumps such as Mags and Little Giants.

The Maxijet was my choice because I wanted an inexpensive pump that I could through out every three years. There is a lot of grit and calcium sand in the circulation path of thr reactor -- this tends to wear down the impeller...and sometimes entire powerhead. This is the case for the cheaper Mags and Maxijets. The Eheim pumps are...well...indestructable...so I would get that one instead. You'll notice that many of the heavy duty reactors use Eheim..including Canreef's. I think Mags are $60...so a $100 Eheim is a better investment.

- Victor.

JoJo
06-02-2002, 01:55 AM
Thank You Victor for all the info!!!!