PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Trouble

trilinearmipmap
10-05-2005, 09:39 PM
I have had a bubble coral for about a year. It has always thrived, it has grown to 10" or 12" across and it was a showpiece coral in the tank.

Over the past month or two the coral has done poorly, it does not expand up, it stays contracted all day and does not look good. All the fish and other corals in the tank are doing great. It is a mixed reef with LPS and some zoanthids, mushrooms and soft corals.

The tank specs are: 120 gallon, 432 Watts T5 lighting, moderate circulation, Temp 81 degrees, pH 8.2 to 8.4, Ca 380, Mg 1400. Alk was low for a long time and I recently added sodium bicarb and sodium carbonate and I overshot the alk high. No nitrates, nitrite or ammonia measurable.

There are a few possibilites I have thought of for this coral doing poorly, I just want some opinions on this.

1. It could be the alk problems which I am trying to sort out with water changes.

2. It could be a depletion or excess buildup of unknown chemicals or nutrients in the tank - I am trying to sort this out with water changes.

3. Someone could be trying to munch on the bubble coral - whether my Copperband Butterfly, or perhaps a worm or crab in the tank - I have not seen this happening though.

4. I stopped feeding the coral for 2 or three months to sort out some problems with Aiptasia I had before - but the other corals are doing fine without feeding.

6. There is a large Frogspawn nearby, I have not seen any sweeper tentacles come out.

7. There is a cabbage leather and a colt coral nearby - however these corals have all been in the same spot for ages with no problems before.

Anyway I am working on water changes and trying to optimized water parameters for now, any input on this would help a lot. This was my favourite coral.

Delphinus
10-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Usually bubble corals are pretty hardy. The two things I would check for are a parameter that is out of whack. The other thing is I would try to feed it something and see if it perks up.

I don't have a bubble coral anymore, but I seem to recall that when I did have it, it usually responded nicely to an offering of food occasionally.

Also I notice my brain coral seems to expand a little less if I don't throw it some occasional mysis.

Anyhow those are my guesses. Good luck.

Murminator
10-06-2005, 02:47 AM
My frog spawn does that from time to time will stay close up for a couple days then it will happy for months then close up again I never really worried about him .......In fact tonight he is closed up but the other FS, hammer and candies are fine :confused: