PDA

View Full Version : New Reefkeeping Magazine Articles

Beverly
10-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Very interesting read, dispelling many myths on the use of garlic:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria:
(read the links at the end of the article as well)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

Matt
10-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Interesting topics. The issue of water changes and their effect on Ca, KH, Mg, and Sr (and other trace elements) is interesting. My interpretation tells me that a)water changes are necessary; and b) they're not enough. So, relying on the gospel of reefkeeping (don't supplement for what you don't test for), I'm left in a quandary.

I don't like the tedious tests we're already doing for Ca, KH, PH, temperature, salinity, NO2, NO3, and NH3. Adding additional tests for consumables like Mg, and Sr doesn't seem like much fun, and even so, there's still the acummulating stuff (Fe, Cu, sulfates, phosphates) which apparently need monitoring too.

What's a poor (and getting poorer) boy to do? Hire a lab technician and go long on chemical stocks?

Bob I
10-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Well don't consider this as advice, but how about doing what I do ie. don't test anything, and do the odd water change, and run Chemipure. Most of all
Don't worry so much, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I have had good success with the above method. :rolleyes:

Flames not required :biggrin:

bulletsworld
10-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Good find Beverly! I keep forgetting to check monthly about the Reefkeeping online Magazine. They always have great articles too.

Thanks again Bev!

:mrgreen:

Beverly
10-05-2005, 08:53 PM
The issue of water changes and their effect on Ca, KH, Mg, and Sr (and other trace elements) is interesting. My interpretation tells me that a)water changes are necessary; and b) they're not enough.

I would say you hit the nail on the head with your interpretation.

I don't like the tedious tests we're already doing for Ca, KH, PH, temperature, salinity, NO2, NO3, and NH3. Adding additional tests for consumables like Mg, and Sr doesn't seem like much fun, and even so, there's still the acummulating stuff (Fe, Cu, sulfates, phosphates) which apparently need monitoring too.

IMO, there is no need to regularly test for ammonia or nitrite once your tank has cycled and LR is cured. I definitely keep those test kits on hand in case something isn't right in one of my reefs, but have rarely used them in the past year or so.

Rarely test for nitrate anymore, either. Have enough non-invasive macroalgae in my tanks to utilize nitrate and phosphate, which I never test.

Temp is easy to test. Just put a permanent thermometer in the tank and look at it once a day.

pH is also easy to test if you have a probe and monitor. Again, all you have to do is look at the monitor and you have the pH down to two decimals. Initial cost will set you back a bit, but will make up in usefulness right away.

The best way to measure salinity is by using a refractometer. Pretty easy to use, but initial cost can be annoying.

PITA tests are definitely Ca and Mg, at least for me. Alk testing isn't quite so bad, but can still a bit of a pain. These are the three that I most concentrate on.