PDA

View Full Version : X10 controlers

StirCrazy
11-19-2001, 10:06 PM
ok who is used them and if not used have yyou seen any good pages with info on how to set them up and what they can do for us?

Steve

reefburnaby
11-19-2001, 10:39 PM
Hello,
www.x10.com (http://www.x10.com)...they have a couple of white papers and instructions for X10 devices.

I don't like x10 devices...the technology is okay, but the x10 products are not very reliable and they tend to fail. This is based on info from several people in my company that have wired up their entire house with x10....

-Victor.

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

DJ88
11-19-2001, 11:33 PM
You may also find that there is too much interference in your house for some equipment to be run. I have seen people posting that they couldn't run an Icecap and a MH ballast on it. Only one.

One reason for the interference is having multiple units running off of the same wire run for outlets. They can disrupt each others signals. One or two on that particular length of wire seems to run ok. My uncle in Vic has his entire house wired. But with only a couple on each breaker. So it can work. Too many and you start running into problems.

As well I think that ballasts (large ones) add in EMI(Electro Magnetic Interference) which is a possible source of more problems.

I had looked into it myself, but for anything other than small pumps and such I don't see me using them.

I really like the theory and idea of running it from your PC.. but have doubts.. I think having a controlling module hooked into your PC via ethernet is a better solution. Right Shane? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Or a standalone which you hook up to program to your needs.

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Reefmaster
11-20-2001, 10:53 PM
i promise!! that if noone else does this sometime soon i'm gonna. now is just a really busy time with work, but i'm gonna have a month off in feb so might see what i can put together then. i'm all fired up about this, think of the possibilites of using our computers to run our tanks!!! ya ya, i'm sure some there are some skeptics but i BELIEVE it can be done! keep us posted on your progress darren.
shane

reefburnaby
11-21-2001, 10:47 AM
Hi,

I have been thinking about that...a PC running a tank. The part I don't like is that the extra power consumption that a regular PC needs ... something around 100W or so. There is also the issue of OS reliability.

But....I don't think I will be doing that for a long time.

- Victor.

DJ88
11-21-2001, 01:01 PM
I run my PC 24/7 as it is.. so there wouldn't be any additional consumption. It won't be hooked into the tank's electrical. If that is your worry.. A small remote box would take all the signals from the sensor on the tank. Send them to the PC via ethernet. So your PC could be anywhere..

I think that is what you are meaning, right Victor?

reefburnaby
11-21-2001, 02:02 PM
Yupe...that would work. However, building a small remote box with ethernet is no easy task....actually quite hard. I would actually put the PC next to the reef and have the PC drive the reef through isolated outputs (optocouplers) and inputs via the parallel ports. Analog inputs could be made through the sound card. Relays could be used to switch on and off AC devices.

The OS reliability still bugs me though....

- Victor.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

StirCrazy
11-21-2001, 05:42 PM
but if we put the PC right beside the tank wouldent it be easyer to reach over and turn something on by hand images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif seriously though maby USB even but the x10 site states that most of the problems peopl have with noise and stuff can be solved by using filters.

Steve

reefburnaby
11-21-2001, 11:13 PM
USB protocol is quite complicated. Probably a I2C or a serial interface is much easier to do.

I guess my "PC beside the reef idea" emulates an expensive Neptune Aquacontroller. Just an idea....I'll give it some more thought.

- Victor.

DJ88
11-22-2001, 12:15 AM
The ballasts most people want to control with X10 add noise to the whole system. as do all eelctrical devices on the line. The farther from the source(controller) the more noise you get. In a house with a few lights turning on or off it works. in most cases. I know of houses where that doesn't even fly.. But with a reef tank you may be able to controla few devices sucha s top off pumps or powerheads heaters fans etc. But once you try to put too many items on the system you will start having problems.

Victor.. The whole controller idea is something Shane and I are thinking about. I am still making my little unit for controlling ph's and heaters and fans.. maybe lights.. the rest is a bit down the road. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Reefmaster
11-23-2001, 12:25 AM
i'm certain it can be done...i will post some links to aquaculture sites that are using the same ideas.

titus
12-09-2001, 05:13 AM
Hello,

Anyone know where I can find these X10 stuff in the Vancouver area?

Titus

Gordoe
12-09-2001, 11:09 AM
Something the designers of a controller might look at is that APC has a power bar with an ethernet connection. It allows you to turn the points on/off over a network.
I've included a link to the device.
APC MasterSwitch (http://www.apc.com/products/masterswitch/index.cfm?tab=models#anchor1)

This link also allows you to test drive their device.

You might also want to look into a local company. Intrinsyc Software http://www.intrinsyc.com and yes I own stock.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Gordoe

Shadetree
12-09-2001, 03:39 PM
Titus,

Email me with what you are looking for, my cousin gets them all at cost.

Scott

StirCrazy
05-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Ok not just to dig up a old relic of a post, but to add to it, I have ordered the firecracker kit from X10 (should be here with in the week)and I already have X10 running two of my light sets. reciently I came across a post on RC about a "possable cheep moterized ball valve system"
and sence I have been trying to come up with a alternating system for current in my tank this peeked my interest. it started out with a bunch of ideas that are to far out (as most DIY's do) but then the working model came to be. it is a simple set up which was made for X10 control.
this is the LINK (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76416) for the discussion on how it came to be.

The key to this system was a way to controle the X10 so it would be a automated process and thanks to Bill-e, he has modifies his light master program (that uses the X10 firecracker setup) to include suport for up to 6 pumps. (so even if you don't want to make the ball valve you could set 6 power head pumps to strict controle for less than 50.00 + the cost of the X10 modules.

if anyone is interested in learning more about the firecracker set up or just X10 in general you can follow this link
"X-10" (http://www.x10.com/friends/refer.cgi?S.L.S@SHAW.CA) by regestering at this page you will get a 15.00 credit on your first order. I did this and ended up getting my firecracker kit for 37.00 including tax and shipping.

once it is here and hooked up I will let you know how I like it and such.

Steve

StirCrazy
05-22-2002, 11:35 PM
Ok my firecracker arived today, quite impressive. it consistes of a lamp modual with a atenna, a serial port through put unit about the size of a zippo, a remote unit like a remote comtrol for a TV, and a plaine lamp modual. it works good kinda cool actualy. when I get the eLightMaster program set up and running I will give a rundown on it.

Steve

StirCrazy
05-23-2002, 12:31 AM
well, I am on computer controle now for my lights. I had a bit of problem setting up the program to run it so I fired off a e-mail to the author (Bill-e) and 10 min later he came back with the solution.. my fault I for got to copy a file to tell it how to use the ports hehe.

anyways it all looks good now, it has the capability of controling 6 lights + a moon light.
you can set it up to mimic the sunrise and sunset from any place in the world and it varies the moonlight bulbs acording to the moon phase.

The wave maker page can controle up to 6 pumps and has functions to go random or to vary on/off times to simulate tides, intensity feeding quite time ect.. and you can set # one to turn on/off at a constant interval for use in a directional flow changer.

now none of thease idems that it controles has to be a light or a pump.. if you only want to run a skimmer 12 hours a day you could do that or anything else that is powered.. as all the program does is turn on/off a X-10 modual.

if you want to see the menues you can go HERE (http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/lightmaster1.html) and take a look at the screen shots.

Steve

Jack
05-23-2002, 06:56 PM
:eek: Very nice... :cool: I think we all need these for our tanks. If it wasn't so DIY and I understood how this stuff worked I would do it :rolleyes: Oh yah... and the fact that my computer sucks tongue.gif