PDA

View Full Version : mantis or not

fishguyxd
10-05-2005, 12:49 AM
I have seen what I think is a mantis (From pics on the web.)
this thing moved Fast ! :eek: then stopped and got in a corner then in and out of the LR. Looked like it had a lots of legs but it was not flat looked ,like it had two little horns :confused:

Are these good /bad what do they eat? or how do i get rid of it .

I can't get any pics just yet.

I have also heard a clicking noise that was not there before.

reefburnaby
10-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Hi,

In general, mantis shrimps are bad since they can kill fish and smash snail shells. It took me 2 years to capture mine. I broke my tank down to capture him. At 3 inches in length, it killed quite a few fish.

However, you may have a more common relative of the mantis shrimp, the pistol shrimp. Those are harmless from my readings.

- Victor.

geopod
10-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Al,

You also have to watch as not only does the mantis smash any shellfish and eat them but it can also break glass.From what I have heard anyways.It isnt a choice of mine.But I do know people that have several of them in their tanks.And they like them.
Have any pics of the little culprit?
And no I am not home yet still over seas.Soon man soon.
george

fishguyxd
10-05-2005, 09:57 PM
I looked at one web site it looks like this

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=1027&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

I hoping to get a pic or better look at it.

Edmonton Eskimo
10-05-2005, 11:15 PM
do you want to get rid of it? If you do I'll take it

fishguyxd
10-06-2005, 01:06 AM
well if it is one for sure I not sure what i will do first I have to catch this thing first

I might keep it but it looks like there is a demand for it though by the pm's i have.