PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Pet Owners (VERY IMPORTANT) Swiffer Wetjet Poison???

bulletsworld
10-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I got this email forward today about Pets and using Swiffer Wetjet. I'm so glad I got this email, since I was going to buy one for my floors and we just got a new puppy & have cats! :eek: :eek: I was thinking though...If it's poison for pets... :eek: what about infant children crawling on the floor & dropping their bottle & cookies!. :eek: :crazyeye:

I never knew about this so thought it would be good to pass this along. See forward below.

__________________________________________________ ___________
RE: FW: Attention Pet Owners (VERY IMPORTANT)

Subject: Fw: Attention Pet Owners]

For those of you with pets in the house!! Take NOTICE:
I recently had a neighbor who had their 5-year old German shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago. They had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone is with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients.
(Actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze).

Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the
solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died
of liver failure.

They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their
floors.

Necropsy's weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a
lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible.

EVEN IF YOU DO NOT OWN A PET PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON! PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW! IT COULD SAVE A PETS LIFE!

THANK YOU!

Murminator
10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
It's a hoax

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_swiffer_wetjet.htm

bulletsworld
10-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Could it be?

That's what I thought at first but then the ladies at my work were so surprised I never seen or heard about the big publicity about this on the news.

:eek: :eek:

Anyone else heard of this? I never get a chance to watch much Tv or read the news.

EDIT: Hey thanks for the link. I'm off to read.

SJSobczyk
10-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Is it an actual hoax though?

I have 2 kids and 3 cats and my mother in law is always swiffering our floors, so i would really like to know the truth!

Steve

Bob I
10-04-2005, 04:54 PM
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_swiffer_wetjet.htm

Ckeck it out. :biggrin:

muck
10-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Don't buy one.
Those swiffers are crap anyways.. :rolleyes:

bulletsworld
10-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Yeah but it says "Propylene glycol n-propyl ether is a solvent similar to, but much less toxic than, ethylene glycol, the antifreeze ingredient always cited as a hazard to pets and children." Which is a small ingredient in Swiffer but still.

Then again the, Animal Poison Control Center has stated the following: "Propylene glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning products and do not cause kidney or liver failure."

Hmm... could be someone wanting to get back at Swiffer, email boom, but still made me think. Soap & water for my floors only!

Bob I
10-04-2005, 05:09 PM
I have one, and I like it. :biggrin: I use it on my laminate floor, and it works for me. :eek:

SJSobczyk
10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I have one, and I like it. I use it on my laminate floor, and it works for me.

Agreed, saves alot of time instead of pulling out the mop and bucket!

Steve

bulletsworld
10-04-2005, 06:07 PM
That's why I was thinking of buying one.

I guess its good to beware at all times about household cleaners and to MAKE sure to pet & child proof your home. I have a shameful experience I went through years back with all purpose cleaning.... yup me.

I had a 6month old American Eskimo puppy and a yard that was being renovated so it tracked in mud. So my DUMB idea after moping the floors was to leave the big bucket of water & concentrated All Purpose Cleaner unattended, while I ran upstairs to grab the phone. Guess what happened... Yup, my traumatizing experience of the puppy stumbling all over the carpet like it was drunk, head & body collapsing to the floor and foam coming from its mouth and nose. OMG! :crazyeye: Not understanding what was happening at first & freaking out, I picked the dog up & he was wet & just smelled of all purpose cleaner. NOOOOOOOoOooo! I rushed to the Pet Emergency! It was the worst thing that ever happened to me. Good news though, the puppy lived. YEAH!
The vet told me it was a miracle that the dog survived. The damage though... It had burnt the inside walls of the puppy so bad that it could only eat hamburger & rice for months & months after. The cells in the walls could not properly digest the nurturance of food & the food would come out & look exactly the same as it went in. After months of meds, monitoring & odd foods, the cells were able to grow back and the puppy fully recovered. YEAH! The doggie is still living today and turned 7 this year. WooHOO!

But that was my horrible & shameful experience of leaving out a mop & bucket with cleaner in it. :frown: Lesson for me…. Learned! Now its soap & water mopping for me & if I have to use a cleaner I’m paranoid about making sure there is no cleaner residue.

:neutral:

StirCrazy
10-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah but it says "Propylene glycol n-propyl ether is a solvent similar to, but much less toxic than, ethylene glycol, the antifreeze ingredient always cited as a hazard to pets and children." Which is a small ingredient in Swiffer but still.

Then again the, Animal Poison Control Center has stated the following: "Propylene glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning products and do not cause kidney or liver failure."

Hmm... could be someone wanting to get back at Swiffer, email boom, but still made me think. Soap & water for my floors only!

we use propylene glycol in out fresh water heating coild on the boat, it is very low tox and was developed so dogs and such wouldn't die if they drank it. I have been using a wetjet for over a year and my cat and fish are still alive and I have even drank some from the water holding tank when we had a brokin tube (thats how I found out :mrgreen: ) the warning on them is a standard disclaimer because if a kid or dog drank the whole bottle it would probably get sick.

Steve